A few questions

Guest Hrenojed

Guest Hrenojed

Hello, I have a few questions. I'm using Mandriva Powerpack 2007.

1.) (3d mode)When I go with mouse in top right corner, all windows minimize. Can I do that for top left corner? When I want to close window all windows show, because I am in a hurry. ^^

2.) I have partitons like this:

/swap = 1gb

/ = 5gb

/home = 50gb

Can I somehow do that all *.rpms install on /home not on /?

3.) I am using Gaim for chat, can I do that color nicks show?

Sorry for my English, I hope you understand me. ;)

Thanks

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

No, this is not possible as / is the base system, consisting of many different sub-folders that contain important files and /home is only used for storing your personal data.

An analogy: You buy a car and want to install new tires. But you decide to do things differently this time and place the tires on the trailer you have. Now you sit the comfy seats of your car, start the engine and wonder why the car doesn't move without tires.

About Gaim. Will take a look at it later.

edit: Haven't found any options for defining colours in Gaim.

Saying that, and I have never done it, and I regret it now,

all the home-made rpms or compiled from source software can be installed in /opt (if this is a different partition that could make going from one version of mandy to another easier). I have little wisdom on that, but maybe somebody will.

I think it may address what you may have had in mind asking that question

Also you could move /usr to /home....

It would be a bit weird setup wise but essentially most of the installed files would then go onto the 50GB partition.

However this is not something to be done without planning...

Essentially if you copy the whole of /usr to a directory /home/usr then you can alter the fstab so that /usr is mounted on /home/usr however it might at some point cause problems since /usr would have to be mounted after /home

Much neater would be to resize the home partition and create another one and mount this as /usr and /opt and /var and make sure these are mounted before /home in the fstab...

1.) (3d mode)When I go with mouse in top right corner, all windows minimize. Can I do that for top left corner

Stab in the dark, how about these pluggins working on mouse movement, mayble prolonged click in digonal up to corner would do

never used mouse movement, so just a suggestion

other gset-compiz option / shortcuts maybe?

Also you could move /usr to /home....

It would be a bit weird setup wise but essentially most of the installed files would then go onto the 50GB partition.

Getting something like that to work is basically possible but not useful at all. And it could screw up the system if you don't pay close attention to what you are doing, so please don't encourage users to do weird things. :)

Just my two cents.

Thanks for all answers.

So would it be better if i make:

/swap 1gb

/ everything else?

Largely it depends what you want to do regarding upgrading....

If you have a seperate /home its easy to keep user settings

If you run a lot of servers etc. then having a seperate /var is useful

You can also leave say a 10GB partition and then use this later if you find /var or /usr are getting larger and larger...

sometimes the best policy is to try it for a while and then backup and repartition....

For instance my /var is huge because I have my photo gallery etc in /var/www ... but I never actually expected that so I made a new partition and mounted it as /var/www

You can really do what you want but it takes a bit of understanding not to mess things up....so its better to start simple IMHO...