Skype installed, but where? [solved]

rogerh

Hello,

Running 2006 (just), and a newbie. Downloaded skype 1.3.0.53-1mdk.i586 from the Skype site to the desktop then installed it. Rebooted after a seemingly successful install, and couldn't find the application in the 'star' menu anywhere. Just to see, I checked the deinstall menu under 'skype' search, and it does think that I have skype there to deinstall. Where can I look for the installed application - I figure it is out there on my system somewhere???

Thanks -- Roger

PS - if there are other apps not normally included in 2006 that I would need for skype, how would I find out (assuming that I ultimately find skype, of course)??

press ALT and F2 and in "run " write skype then press ok.

if it's not working do in root console urpmi skype and see if is the last version or in root console write "sky " and press tab two times to see if skype appears and if appears press enter

By the way, you shouldn't have to reboot after installing new software! Just run it! ;)

You can make a shortcut on your desktop, on your menu bar, or on your kicker panel to run Skype - just point it at the executable /usr/bin/skype

Also if you find you have problems with sound after first call :-

Go into your skype-install/sound directory and rename or delete the hangup.wav file.

Well, looks like I replied a bit too soon. I though that I had created a shortcut via skype, but that didn't work. The toolbar seems to only want to allow me to add shortcuts of apps that are shown on star menu, but skype doesn't seem to be on star menu.

I realize that this is probably pretty basic, but how specifically do I get skype added?? Since I can't see it as user, I assume that I need to log in as root to gain access to it at this point.

Regards -- Roger