GAIM won't log into MSN

Guest gotang

Guest gotang

Hi all, I'm having difficulty logging into my MSN Messenger account with Gaim. I'm using Mandriva 2007.0 Free, with GAIM 2.0.0beta3.1 under KDE 3.5.4.

Basically, the client seems to authenticate okay and it gets as far as retrieving my buddy list, but then hangs (in so far as it doesn't do anything more - the window is still responsive to mouse clicks etc.). A copy of the debug window output (with email addresses and phone numbers obscured) is here http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ball1621/gaim_log.txt - I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me, as I really don't have a clue what's wrong.

Thanks!

Gaim on KDE? Why?

Kopete works fine... including MSN network.

Same applies for SIM (Simple Instant messenger - another KDE/QT client).

I will risk opening a flamewar, but errr... Kopete is much better than what Gaim would be in the next five years or so.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest gotang

GAIM specifically because (a) that's what I'm used to (in actual fact, I'm thinking of moving over to KMess), but more importantly (b) because it has a debug window that I can get information from. Kopete suffers from what I assume is the same problem, but handily has no indication of what it's doing.

I suspect that my problem isn't to do with GAIM specifically, but rather either MSN or my internet connection (I'm on a university ethernet, so odd things go on between my computer and the outside world). I was just hoping that someone out there would be able to give me any ideas of what might be going on.

Anyone actually able to help me here?

GAIM specifically because (a) that's what I'm used to (in actual fact, I'm thinking of moving over to KMess), but more importantly (B) because it has a debug window that I can get information from. Kopete suffers from what I assume is the same problem, but handily has no indication of what it's doing.

I suspect that my problem isn't to do with GAIM specifically, but rather either MSN or my internet connection (I'm on a university ethernet, so odd things go on between my computer and the outside world). I was just hoping that someone out there would be able to give me any ideas of what might be going on.

Anyone actually able to help me here?

Looks like it is a problem with your internet connection, I remain connected to MSN all day everyday no problem using either Gaim or Kopete or amsn

I've always used gaim, kopete was crap as it kept crashing. I've never bothered to try it since I tried it in Mandriva 2006. I feel no need, and gaim functions great for me. I use KDE also.

Actually, the problem is msn. MSN likes to mess with their protocol to keep non-msn-sanctioned IM clients off their network, and so Gaim is constantly trying to play catch up - basically reverse engineering the protocol. I believe there is a note on gaim.sf.net about this, but I can't access it because it's blocked by websense at work :(