check out Pekwm

Guest joehill

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joe,

i have downloaded lots of themes in the link sites including pekdon's configuration files. however why doesnt i have the bar at the bottom with the icons? what do i have to install or configure to have that?

also, after setting the theme to the appropriate directory in config (i.e ~/.pekwm/themes/flx-blue), the screen becomes all blue but i cant access the right-click button anymore to launch the menu. this is getting frustrating.

ciao!

Guest joehill
joe,

i have downloaded lots of themes in the link sites including pekdon's configuration files. however why doesnt i have the bar at the bottom with the icons? what do i have to install or configure to have that?

if you mean in the screenshots my ROX panel, that's something seperate. Pekwm comes with no panel or task/toolbar feature.

also, after setting the theme to the appropriate directory in config (i.e ~/.pekwm/themes/flx-blue), the screen becomes all blue

in the theme file it is probably drawing the root window all blue. Just edit the theme file, ie. comment out or delete the line at the end which sets the background. Most Pek themes I have seen don't set the background. Themers are getting away from that because most people want to set their own background (did you check out the theme + wallpaper menu thing here?

but i cant access the right-click button anymore to launch the menu. this is getting frustrating.

only in this theme or in any theme?

ciao!

have you checked out my themes?! what do you think?

if you mean in the screenshots my ROX panel, that's something seperate. Pekwm comes with no panel or task/toolbar feature.

ohhh, i thought it was included since all of your screenshots have it. *now do i feel stupid*

also, after setting the theme to the appropriate directory in config (i.e ~/.pekwm/themes/flx-blue), the screen becomes all blue

in the theme file it is probably drawing the root window all blue. Just edit the theme file, ie. comment out or delete the line at the end which sets the background. Most Pek themes I have seen don't set the background. Themers are getting away from that because most people want to set their own background (did you check out the theme + wallpaper menu thing here?

but i cant access the right-click button anymore to launch the menu. this is getting frustrating.

only in this theme or in any theme?

ciao!

have you checked out my themes?! what do you think?

i still havent checkedout any of your themes as i dont visit this board often when im at home (dialup connection sucks and i cant reply since somehow i always get booted out (but my username is logged-in). i figured ill try with the other themes first and if everything works out then ill try yours (so if i dont like it its not because of your theme :#:).

anyway, are you interested in doing a little tutorial on how to establish a pekwm desktop that looks like your screenshots?

ciao!

Guest joehill
anyway, are you interested in doing a little tutorial on how to establish a pekwm desktop that looks like your screenshots?

ciao!

but of course. That's something I've been meaning to do anyway. I posted a suggestion for a section or sub-section on this board for Desktop issues (like we had on the old board), and that would be the first thing I would do. Nothing too elementary, I am not going to duplicate the Flux or Pek documentation!

but using ROX with Pek, configuring menus and such.

Guest joehill

for ROX and Pekwm, the way I use it, there's key bindings in the menu and keys file in ~/.pekwm.

However, you may want to start the ROX panel with Pek, so then in your .xinitrc put:

~/path/to/ROX-Filer/AppRun -b=MyPanel &

this will start the ROX panel on desktop one, but it will not appear on your other desktops. for some, this is a good thing. it means you keep your file management stuff to one desktop. The thing with the ROX panel is that you can drag any dir or file to the panel to create a shortcut to it. also, you can add apps to the panel like archive (download from ROX site) so then in a filer window you have an archive you downloaded, you just drag it to the archiver icon on the ROX panel and it extracts it. In reverse, drag any file or dir onto the archive icon and archive it into any format.

But you may not want to always have the panel on, so in your keys file put:

Exec { Key = "k"; Mod = "Mod4"; Param = "~/path/to/ROX-Filer/AppRun -b=" }

then you might want to start it again, so in the keys file:

Exec { Key = "p"; Mod = "Mod4"; Param = "~/path/to/ROX-Filer/AppRun -b=MyPanel" }

Personally, I want to have access to ROX filer at any time so there's a couple of ways in Pek to do this (would work in Fluxbox too).

in my keys file:

Exec { Key = "h"; Mod = "Mod4"; Param = "~/path/to/ROX-Filer/AppRun" }

that way I hit my Windows key and "h" for my home dir (assuming you started X in your home dir of course...). This opens up many possibilities because for example I have this also in my keys file:

Exec { Key = "c"; Mod = "Mod4"; Param = "~/path/to/ROX-Filer/AppRun ~/.pekwm" }

so I hit Win + c and I get my .pekwm dir open on the screen.

or you can do any of this through the menu. just take any of the above keys entries and copy them to your menu file.

Guest joehill

Hey thanks man, I'm just having fun. This theme could *easily* be ported to waimea anyway.....

Did anyone notice I am "awesome" now? do I get a car and driver or just a pay raise?

Hey thanks man, I'm just having fun. This theme could *easily* be ported to waimea anyway.....

Did anyone notice I am "awesome" now? do I get a car and driver or just a pay raise?

Pay raise: 3 * your_current_rate

Guest joehill

[offtopic]

you stole your sig! that was on Slashdot a long time ago, "It said Windows 2000 or better so I bought a Mac".

{/offtopic]

still damn funny though!

:lol:

and get off WindowMaker. It causes all manner of war and pestilence.

oh, and just to tempt you and bvc further, the newest theme I am working on:

slick.

I hate the name so if anyone can suggest a better one, and it needs a lot of work on the riveted border, but you get the general idea.

[offtopic]

you stole your sig! that was on Slashdot a long time ago, "It said Windows 2000 or better so I bought a Mac".

{/offtopic]

Well I sort of embelished it a bit  :D 

still damn funny though!

:lol: 

and get off WindowMaker. It causes all manner of war and pestilence.

Yes it does, but the themes are good!

oh, and just to tempt you and bvc further, the newest theme I am working on:

slick.

Don't tempt me.  :twisted: 

I hate the name so if anyone can suggest a better one, and it needs a lot of work on the riveted border, but you get the general idea.