Lifespan of a distribution

TheCrizu

Well,i have two questions concerning this subject.First,how long,after the release of mandriva 2007,there will be a support for previous version,like security patches etc...

and secondly,how long i can expect to be able to use mandriva 2006,i mean,generally speaking,if i download softwares as source,and compile them,before their "requirements" would need newer kernel than i have,etc..

I have used mandriva 2006 about a year now,and i'm very happy with it,now,since i have learned tons of tips and tricks about how to do things,and how to fine-tune it,and so on.

Most things don't tend to rely on the kernel, so you should be fine for this. Updates will stop at some point. LE2005 finished about April/May this year, I'd expect 2006 to be sometime next year - when I've no idea.

EDIT:

took me a while but found it:

http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime

explains when support ends.

Interesting, I thought I'd not got any updates for a while!! So for 2006 the anticipated upgrade really is within 6 months of the new release coming out, which is not a great deal of overlap...

About the compilation, as Ian says it probably won't depend on the kernel too much but you might find incompatibilities with the desktop libraries, for example new versions of the Qt or Gtk libraries. If you get new source which relies on the new libraries, then you'll need those and that might require updating your whole desktop - which I guess would be gradually less and less fun. It kind of depends what you're compiling and (as is always the question) if the compilation is really necessary. I did recently compile digikam from source because I wanted the newer release, but I think if I had still been using an old Mandrake for example, the compilation would have been much more difficult.

Desktop updates stop for 2006 in the next week or two (mid-October). The base updates for other components next year in April.

I wonder why people would want to use Mandriva for business if the updates stop so quickly. If you compare against Red Hat - similar since Mandriva is based on Red Hat or was when it started - Red Hat supports a distro for seven years.

Of course, I'm sure there are other distros I could compare, this is just one example.

If you want to compare it with RedHat then compare it with the corporate products. The mandriva version we use is meant to be a desktop first IMHO. If you wanna use it as workstation, you can, your choice. But if it fails you can only blame yourself. If you want to compare it to something then compare it with Fedora. How long a Fedora release is supported? AFAIK 2 months after a new release came out. This case Mandriva is better.

The Mandriva corporate products can have support up to 5 years. Yes RedHat still wins but it sounds much better, isn't it.

True, bad comparison, I should have looked up their Corporate options.

Fedora only seems to be supported on such a short timescale due to it's bleeding-edge being far more up-to-date than Mandriva on it's yearly release. We need to find a distro on yearly release for comparison :P