Smartmedia Reader

Daveleh

Looked at your /proc/modules a little more closely and compared to mine both with and without the zip drive attached. One difference which might be relevant involves sd_mod which appears connected with the creation of the sda* device files, i.e. it is listed when the zip drive is connected and is not when the zip drive is not connected. In yours sd_mod is designated "unused", not so in mine.

You may want to add sd_mod to the scsi modules when you do the rmmod/insmod thing or try it by itself.

Looked at your /proc/modules a little more closely and compared to mine both with and without the zip drive attached. One difference which might be relevant involves sd_mod which appears connected with the creation of the sda* device files, i.e. it is listed when the zip drive is connected and is not when the zip drive is not connected. In yours sd_mod is designated "unused", not so in mine.

You may want to add sd_mod to the scsi modules when you do the rmmod/insmod thing or try it by itself.

Nope, still nothing. I rmmod'd and insmod'd all the modules associated with scsi_mod and still no joy

Never mind, it's probably something really simple.

:?

• 1 month later...

Ok, finally got A card reader working.

I'd read in one of the posts, not sure if it was on this list or another one that I subscribe to, that in order to use multi card readers a kernel option needs to be activated. This is a bit beyond me at the moment so instead I purchased a single card reader.

This is the Zio, as mentioned by mtwiederman in a post quite a while ago I seem to remember.

This worked first time and works perfectly each time. I connected it to the usb port, booted up and inserted a card with photos on. Then I opened a terminal (console) and typed 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' and lo and behold I got a report giving sda1, never got anything like this before. So I then typed 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera' followed by 'cd /mnt/camera' followed by 'ls' and the folder on the card called dcim appeared. I then entered 'cd dcim' which displayed a folder called fuji_100 inside which were all the photos.

Now I find that I have an icon on the desktop called something like 'mnt_memory_card' (i'm not on my linux machine at the mo) and if I enter the command 'mount /dev/sda1' I can click on it and view the contents.

So if anyone else is having trouble I would recommend the Zio. It costs approx £25.00 from Dabs.com and was here within three days.

BTW I 'm using ML9.0