Booting stops at ppp0

payasam

Arctic, I tried what you now suggest, but still could not get into MDV. Knoppix seemed to think it owned the whole damn machine. Since the MDV installation was fairly recent and didn't have much in it which wasn't backed up somewhere, and since I had been thoroughly cheesed off by the jumping desktop icons, I scrubbed it and installed PCLOS in its place. I couldn't tell you this, for which I'm sorry, but it was a spur of the moment decision. [EDIT] I think I said hda6 when I should have said hda7. Never could count.

Glad to hear your headache is gone. This is the course that most colds take. There's terrific headache while the plumbing is choked with muck, but it goes away when the muck begins to run out. Sniffling people make a sorry spectacle, of course.

Edited by payasam

I scrubbed it and installed PCLOS in its place
If it works okay now, the there is nothing wrong with that. I always say: Use what works best for you. If it's Mandriva, fine. If it's PCLinuxOS, also fine... :)

Try this to get the ppp0 removed. Boot the Mandriva CD, the first one, and press F1. Then type:

linux rescue

when booting, press ESC to view the screen, and then choose the option to mount all partitions. They should be put under /mnt. Now, if you're not using ppp0, then we can remove it completely. So, do this:

cd /mnt/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

look for a file, probably ifcfg-ppp0, and then:

rm ifcfg-ppp0

this will delete the file and stop it trying to connect at boot. Then reboot your system, and you should be sorted. If you need it, then edit the file with vi, and change:

onboot=yes

to:

onboot=no

then you can come back to configuring ppp at another time. If not using it at all, then delete. It could have gotten configured by mistake.

EDIT:

forget that, just realised, you erased it and started again. However, there's the solution should it happen again.

I did boot with CD1, Ian, including once with the rescue option, but then I had no idea what to do. Your explanation is simplicity itself. Remove or disable. I cannot see how the thing got roused from slumber. Let me see if something like it happens in PCLOS, though my current battle there is with a mulish CUPS.