Booting stops at ppp0

payasam

Moderator, please move this to the right place if it doesn't belong here.

MDV 2006.0. All of a sudden my system refuses to boot. It stops at the line "Bringing up interface ppp0." Failsafe mode gives the same result. So far as I know, with a LAN connection I should have no ppp.

Press F1 for getting to the verbose bootscreen after the grub/lilo selection. The verbose boot will ask you at one point if you want to enter interactive startup. Press "i" for interactive and when asked to start the ppp0 device, bypass that by hitting ctrl+c. Once it is booted up, take a look at /var/log/boot.log and /var/log/messages for error messages.

Yes, with a LAN, ppp0 should not be started. We will have to see why it suddenly started.

I use LILO, Arctic. What does "after the grub/lilo selection" mean? I tried F1 after choosing Linux, and I tried it again when I saw the screen which offers me Linux and Windows and Failsafe. Everything went as usual. If by "the verbose bootscreen" you mean the one up which millions of words run, too fast for my old and tired eyes to catch, that is the only Mandrake or Mandriva screen I have ever known. I did press "i" on both occasions, but things went no differently from always. Could I have been too slow? Whatever it was, pressing CTL-C when the ppp0 line came up had no effect. Hung means hung.

Past 2 a.m. here and time for Snore Therapy. I choose to imagine that you'd like a bit of the same. No matter if I'm wrong.

Yes, I meant the screen with the millions of lines/words. Quite early it will ask for interactive startup, thus simply press "i" repeatedly until it kicks in. Once interactive booting runs, it will ask you service by service if it should run, thus it will not run past you in lightspeed. :)

Snore therapy sounds nice. I could need one, too. I got a pretty cold two days ago and now my brain hurts, my lungs explode and I have problems concentrating on anything. *sigh* And tomorrow morning: back to work. Ugh...

Good luck to you. :)

All right about the interactive, Arctic. Will give it a go in a bit and tell you what happens.

For your cold, here's a simple trick which involves no drugs. All you need to do is stand near a cup of water boiling in an open pan. The vapour will find its way into your respiratory tract. No real need to drape towel over head and get all hot and red-faced. Like damned dust (I speak as a photographer), steam gets everywhere.

No luck, Arctic. Kept pressing "i", but the process continued as always, stopping at ppp0. All that happened was that each "i" appeared on the screen. Looks like you'll have to sneeze at me again.

Okay, I will do some reseach on that one. Can you please tell us your networking hardware specs? Do you use an USB modem (if yes, which model?) or a router?, is there an internal dial-up modem on your box as well? Well, such stuff, so we know where to start troubleshooting.

Edit: A quick research reveals that this type of error is very rare and mostly happens when people us USB modems. A possible fix for it would be now to boot the system with a live-CD, chroot into Mandriva and disable the network services temporarily, so it can boot up again and that we can take a proper look at the system. Do you have a live-CD at hand, like Knoppix?

UT Starcom ADSL Modem UT-300R2, supplied by the ISP. Four lights: POWER, WAN, PPPoE, LAN.

I was required to have an Ethernet card, and the one installed is by D-Link.

I was told that I could type in any URL, say Yahoo, and I would be taken to the ISP's log-in screen. I have simplified matters by having Opera (in Win and Lin both) take me directly to log-in when it is started.

No router, no internal modem.

No unusual behaviour in Windows.

Will see about booting with modem unplugged.

Modem not USB.

Have a rather old Knoppix live and a fairly new PCLinuxOS (Minime) -- but no idea how to use the things or to chroot.

If you want to chroot into your mandriva partition, first become superuser/root. Then mount the linux partition (mnt /dev/hdxxx /mnt). Then run

chroot /mnt

and try to launch the MCC and turn the system service off for now. Or: use the "chkconfig network off" command if you don't want to start the MCC. Hope it gets the machine into a bootable state again.

I feel better than yesterday, already. No headaches anymore ... but still coughing and sniffing. :sad: