Mandriva 10.1 on Compaq Presario 1255 problem

john_tan

Yes, you do everything okay, if grub was really installed. I did some research on your machine and a general question comes up: Has your laptop these specs? CPU: K6-2 - 333 MHz - 32 MB Ram. If yes, then it is most probable that the low Ram is the problem here, unless you upgraded the Ram. Mandrivas kernel and initrd might be too big for the tiny Ram to handle.

I know that it CAN run Linux. Maybe newer Mandriva releases demand too much from that system. But Slackware, Debian, DSL or Puppy would be some options you could try. Here are some links that prove that Linux can run on it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040405055305/...achines/cp1255/

http://linuxfr.org/~JesusMacGod/7292.html (french)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...ad.php?t=258460

During the installation of the first CD, I encountered this error: cannot load kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.12mdk-l-mdk.i586. It then asked whether to continue. I type Yes and continued. Then later 2 other packages also cannot be loaded: gnumeric-1.4.3-5mdk.i586 and kdeartwork-3.4.2-3mdk.i586

Going back to your first post, this is what you mentioned. I have a funny feeling your CD is corrupt. Did you download the ISO? Did you check the md5sum to make sure the ISO wasn't corrupted during download?

If the ISO image is fine, then maybe burn the CD again, at a slower speed, say 4x and see if it works any better after this. Also, what media are you using? I've had problems with cheap CD's, and I always buy TDK nowadays, never had any problems with them.

Normally, the kernel installed is kernel-2.6.12.12mdk with a default 2006 install. The other package problems hint at corruption or bad media. I'm thinking this is why you cannot get your system to work. I'm pretty sure people have Mandriva 2006 running on far less spec systems than the one you are trying here.

I have done md5sum check on the iso files and they are good. I am using Verbatim CD and burn with 4X. The first corrupted CD was a used CD-RW.

After the reburn with the new Verbatim CDs, the installation went smoothly without any error at all.

I am very sorry to take so much of your time in trying to solve my problem.

On my end I have also done quite a fair bit of research on the net. It seems that there are also other people having the same error as me. One of the solutions was to install using "Core update CD". But I have no idea what is that or where to find it.

With 160 MB Ram, it must work, unless Ian found the problem (= link and what it means)

Looks like I am stuck.
If the 2007 cooker-snapshots doesn't work either, you are pretty much stuck and should definitely give another distro a try.

Sorry, Ian, but it only says, it fixes the hardware support for some devices, not that it only supports newer hardware. At least I didn't find that message anywhere. I didn't check out though if the listed hardware devices are new devices or if some of them are older ones.

If the machine is "too old", then it is not unprobable that Mandriva does not support it, as Mandriva is basically made for newer hardware. Sure, it works on a lot of old hardware but possibly not on every piece of older hardware you throw at it, just like any other distro.

I had similar error messags with Cooker and with Ubuntu Edgy Eft. I think there was some problem finding the hard disk, Mandriva fixed it but Ubuntu made some work around using grub. My grub entry for Edgy looks like this now:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-6-686 (recovery mode)

root (hd0,1)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-6-686 root=UUID=f340078d-4758-4d33-a4ac-a148c95c7558 ro single

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-6-686

boot

maybe you guys know how to find this UUID number....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

Universally Unique Identifier is an identifier standard used in software construction, standardized by the Open Software Foundation (OSF) as part of the Distributed Computing Environment (DCE).

UUIDs are documented as part of ISO/IEC 11578:1996 "Information technology -- Open Systems Interconnection -- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and more recently in ISO/IEC 9834-8:2005. The IETF has published Proposed Standard RFC http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt

Hmm.. ask the guys of the OSF on how this works, I'd say.