internet slow - 1kbps with mandriva 2006 on dialup

Guest weebo

Hi folks,

This has had me bugged for some time now. Ever since I upgraded to mandy 2006 I've not had a dialup speed better than about 1 kbps. This is using Konqueror, I can't connect fast enough to download any other browser!

What I have tried so far.....

1)Manually entering my ISP's nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf

2)turning off ipv6 in /etc/modprobe.conf

3)from Mandriva errata page, added "NETWORKING_IPV6 = NO" to /etc/sysconfig/network

4)disabled any firewall

5)checked security level is set to standard i.e. level 2

6) made sure that my modem max speed is set to 115kbps

With mandriva 10.1 on the same machine I used to get excellent average dialup speeds. Unfortunately 10.1 crashed absolutely fatally and I did a complete reformat and install of 2006 as the cure .... some cure eh?? :huh: I'd be super grateful for any wise words! Meanwhile if you'll excuse me I think I'll hit the bottle..... :drunks:

Cheers.

Can't think of why you're experiencing connection speed problems. However, I know that if you're modem is 56K, then you should be setting the maximum speed as close to this as possible - so maybe 56600 or whatever the value is.

I'll explain why, you now have it set to 115200. The modem will try to connect at this speed. When it doesn't detect the other modem wanting to connect at this speed, it moves slowly down decreasing the speed. After a while, it will then start to move much quicker, otherwise it would take too long to connect checking every lower possible speed. Then by the time it gets to 56K, it would be moving too fast, that when it does see the speed, it will connect at 38K or something like that.

By setting it close to 56K, you will find you're more likely to connect at speeds around 44K-48K.

I don't use dialup now, not since the last 6 years, so never tried to get it working in 2006 or any version of Linux to be honest. Someone else might be able to suggest something though.

Perhaps you use the wrong module for the modem? :unsure:

Open a terminal, and type "lynx". This will start a text-only webbrowser. Check if it crawls with it, too, or if you get a good connection speed with it. If the network is a lot faster then, then it could be a Konqueror-only problem. Also theck the ping results you get from the cli.

Hi weebo,

here's a very detailed HOWTO on modems: http://www.linux.com/howtos/Modem-HOWTO.shtml

There are two situations mentioned which describe slow connection problems. If you're unable to find out the cause yourself, it would be good to know some data of your config, i.e. modem vendor/type, provider and connection process/config files.

Regarding modem speed: For up-to-date devices, 115 kbps is a good selection. This is the speed by which your computer's serial port/component talks to your modem. It's not to be confused with the connection speed of your modem: If you have a 56k modem, this is the hardware speed limit by which it talks to your provider's device. The first number can be greater as the modem does compression on your data before sending them up.

Generally, be sure to use correct IRQ/IO settings, they are most important. Check also BIOS options on this.

HTH,

scoonma

Righty-Ho...

Thanks all you folks for your helpful replies. I'll get down to giving it another go in the next few days, please stay with me... my responses are not going to be too rapid at the moment due to domestic chaos caused by (intentionally of course) taking the roof off our house!!!

The modem is a Sitecom DC003 external serial setup as ppp0 on /dev/tty0. I should also mention that I had the same problem with a Hays Accura external serial modem although this modem was (sadly) blown up by a lightening strike a few weeks ago.