error when running VMD

hermus

Yeah, probably need the kernel that Mandriva supplies for x64, I don't use 64, so never seen your problem before, but heard about it. Sometimes a BIOS update fixes it I think.

The kernel source should be the same as your running kernel. If you're not using a Mandriva kernel, then you need to download it and put it in /usr/src. For example:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.5

this is where your extracted kernel source should be. Then you should have a symlink to it called /usr/src/linux.

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.5 /usr/src/linux

and then that's all you need to do. You don't need to compile anything unless you want a later kernel than the one you have installed.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just installed the mdk kernel 2.6.12.25 and its source by using below two commands:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.25mdk

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.12.25mdk

It seems that the installation was done successfully. The /usr/src/linux linked to this new source automatically; it also showed up in lilo.conf.

Then when I reboot my computer using this kernel, it just stoped when I click enter (without loading anything); when try the old kernel 2.6.12.12, the same thing. What does this mean? I can not use mdk kernel?

:wall:

Got any error messages?

If you're running 64 bit, I think they would need an smp kernel:

kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.25mdk:kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-smp-2.6.12.25mdk:kernel-smp-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

I've also included the i686 kernel, because this runs much better than the one you've just installed.

Try the smp one first, and go from there, however, your system should have booted, so if you can post error messages, that would be cool.

I installed the smp, and it is booting now. I saw the "ati instailation" when I reboot the computer.

"dmesg" showed nothing wrong; but "glxinfo" gave

=======

name of display: :0.0

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib64/libGL.so.1.2

Segmentation fault

=======

Then when I tried "dmesg" again, I got this:

=======

glxinfo[5033]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip 0000000000000000 rsp 00007fffffb94ba8 error 14

=======

when tried VMD, it is still not working, and I got one more segfault:

========

vmd_LINUXAMD64[5117]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip 0000000000000000 rsp 00007ffffff07ec8 error 14

========

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Check if mesa is installed:

rpm -qa | grep Mesa

it's case-sensitive so type it as above. If it's not installed, do:

urpmi Mesa

and then try the:

glxinfo | grep direct

command again and see if it's enabled. If not, you might need to run aticonfig to configure the graphics. Either that, or check this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

load "dri"

and:

"Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

and see what helps. I'd try aticonfig first though before editing xorg.conf

1)

Mesa was installed. "glxinfo | grep direct" gave

=======

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib64/libGL.so.1.2

=======

2)

I do have below in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

=======

load "dri"

=======

and:

=======

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

=======

And rebooted, did not help :-(

3) I tried aticonfig like this, Is this correct?

=======

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

=======

It said one file is missing but did not tell the name of the file.

Can this related with "fglrx.ko.gz"? This is file was not been able to locate when I ran "urpmi dkms-ati". That message was

=======

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko.gz for module ati in the DKMS tree.

You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.14.5wang (x86_64) first.

=======

I'm pretty sure it's your self-compiled kernel that's the problem. dkms would work perfectly fine with the Mandriva kernels. It's suggesting you need to compile dkms into your kernel somehow, no idea about that I'm afraid.

So, if we can't do dkms, suggest removing all the dkms, use your 2.6.14 kernel, and download the ati drivers for your card from ati's website. Then install these, if you get some error messages about can't locate certain packages, install these, and then the ati driver again, and hopefully you'll be running with opengl.

I removed dkms, tried ati drivers from their website. Still not working. :-(

I tried mdk kernel yesterday: boot with the mdk kernel; /usr/src/linux to mdk kernel; "aticonfig" under this kernel. But it is not better than my own kernel. Why do you say that the problem is my self-compiled kernel? Is that posible to solve this? Should I remove this kernel from my computer?

Thanks

I think it's more that Mandriva has done something with their kernels to get it to work, by patching it or something, and I've no idea. When you compile your own kernels, there are a lot of things that stop working because of the patches Mandriva put on their own kernels.

The dkms should work for you in Mandriva's kernels no problem, but then you have the time issue. I know someone resolved this, but I don't remember how, there is a post on this board somewhere about it though.

I have removed all dkms following your earlier post and tried ati drivers from ati website.

The kernel results are:

========

# rpm -qa |grep kernel

kernel-smp-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk

kernel-source-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-smp-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk

=========

That's right :P I forgot about that.

OK, on my system with nvidia, I have the following packages for dkms and I'm using the 2.6.12.25mdk kernel.

[ian@esprit ~]$ rpm -qa | grep dkms
dkms-nvidia-8774-0.1.20060plf
dkms-2.0.5.9-3mdk
dkms-minimal-2.0.5.9-3mdk

Whether it's smp, i686 or standard one shouldn't matter. We do need the kernel source though, which you have so that is fine. What I would be tempted to do is remove the stuff we don't need so:

urpme kernel-smp-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk
urpme kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk
urpme kernel-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk
urpme kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk

this will just leave you with the smp kernel and the relevant kernel-source. I would then make sure I'm booted with the smp kernel - the Mandriva one, not your own compiled kernel, and then install dkms again using:

urpmi dkms-ati

mine shows dkms-nvidia in my example, yours would be the same 3, except dkms-ati instead of nvidia.

When it installs, it should inject the module into the kernel, that is why it's important to be running the Mandriva kernel when you're installing it. Then, I'd search this board to find the fix for the time going fast problem whilst using Mandriva kernels.