error when running VMD

hermus

Hi,

I was trying to run VMD on my mandrake2006. I got below message and no window poped up. Is there any setting wrong for my system?

===========

Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

============

Thanks a lot

:wall:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you set up the machine and you don't know, chances are that 3D acceleration is not working. The best way to check is with the command:

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

and you're looking for the answer of yes. Do you know what graphics card the machine has?

Make sure you have your easyurpmi repositories set up using the link at the top of this page (main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree). You can then do:

urpmi dkms-ati

and it will install the ati driver, which will automatically fix itself if you update your kernel. I do this with my nvidia driver. Then once it's installed, you might need to do:

aticonfig

to configure it all up and get it working. I don't use ati personally, only with the open-source drivers that come with Mandriva. Normally, this alone only requires the following steps:

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make sure you have the following lines:

load "dri"

this is under modules section, and then:

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

this can be put anywhere, I usually put it at the bottom, then I complete it with:

urpmi Mesa

it's case-sensitive, so type it like above. Then the open-source drivers work fine. If that doesn't do it, you can always try the first method I suggested of using the dkms-ati driver.

Hi ianw1974,

Thank you for this detailed instruction. It is great for newbie like me. But I still got problem :P

I set up the easyurpmi following the page. Then when running "urpmi dkms-ati", I got below message:

=======

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/ati/8.28.8-0.1.20060plf/source ->

/usr/src/ati-8.28.8-0.1.20060plf

DKMS: add Completed.

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.14.5wang cannot be found at

/lib/modules/2.6.14.5wang/build or /lib/modules/2.6.14.5wang/source.

You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko.gz for module ati in the DKMS tree.

You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.14.5wang (x86_64) first.

========

I modifed the link in "lib/modules/2.6.14.5wang/" for build and source. But when I tried to re-run "urpmi dkms-ati", it says "The package(s) are already installed".

What should I do now and how to solve the second "Error" above?

Thanks a lot.

Kernel 2.6.14.5? Mandriva's highest kernel for 2006 is 2.6.12.25mdk :P

I guess you compiled your own. You have to make sure that the kernel source you built the kernel from is in /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.5 and you have a symlink to it in /usr/src called linux. So, if not, create with:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.5 /usr/src/linux

but I have a feeling the dkms stuff might only work with Mandriva's kernels.

So maybe I need to compile the Mandrake kernel again? :-(

I will try a little more and hope this kernel works :D

I put the source in the directory and made the link. Do I need to re-install the ati drivers again? But I got "The package(s) are already installed" when I ran the command. And If I ran "aticonfig", it only listed all the options and "Parses an existing X-Server configuration file and modifies it to operate with ATI products." How can I fix this?

With dkms, once the source is there, you reboot, and it will install the ati module into the existing kernel.

With Mandriva's kernels, you don't have to compile anything, but it sounds like you've compiled your own kernel, not used a Mandriva one. To use a mandriva one:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.25mdk

will install this kernel, and then:

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.12.25mdk

will install the kernel source for the kernel just installed above it. I would suggest doing:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

to see what you've got installed. I don't compile my own kernels in Mandriva, because of all the problems associated with trying to get Mandriva to work normally afterwards.

With dkms, once the source is there, you reboot, and it will install the ati module into the existing kernel.

With Mandriva's kernels, you don't have to compile anything, but it sounds like you've compiled your own kernel, not used a Mandriva one.

I just rebooted my computer, it did not help. :-(

I do have mandrake kernel on my machine. It is 2.6.12-12. But I got a problem with this kernel and I finally use the present one. I have Athlon dual core on my machine, with the old kernel, the system time is twice faster than the wall time, which is very inconvinent. I do not know if this has been solved in latest mandrake kernel? Are there compiled (or rpm) version available? How can I get it?

Thanks

What problems do you get with this kernel? If it's kernel-source problems, this will be because the kernel-source that always gets installed now is kernel-source-2.6-2.6-12.22mdk. Although I don't know what exact problems you had with the standard kernel from install 2.6.12.12mdk.

I would suggest using the following kernel for your dual core system:

kernel-smp-2.6.12.25mdk:kernel-smp-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

this will let you take advantage of the dual core features. Or maybe even:

kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.25mdk:kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

both only require kernel-source-2.6.12.25mdk and you should be able to use dkms fine.

With that kernel, my problem is, the system time is twice faster than the real wall. This makdes it very hard to follow files by date. So I switch to the present kernel. :-(

Actually I have a 64 bit machine. I suppose I just need to use x86_64 instead of i586, am I right?

By the way, what does the command do? compile the kernel? So I need to download the source in advance, right? And where should I put them?

Thanks