Kernel Update! [solved]

I got kernel update files from a magazine cd. The files are

1) linux-2.6.17.6.tar.bz2 (39.4 mb)

2)patch-2.6.17.6.bz2 (7.9 kb)

3) patch-2.6.17.5-6.bz2 (489 b )

Pls tell whether i can use these files to update my kernal. If so, how?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Those are only for the 2.6.17 kernel, which is not yet being used by Mandriva (ony in cooker), thus the files will be of little use for you. If you want to get a patched kernel, I suggest you install the ones that Mandriva has available on its mirrors. ;)

urpmi kernel-2.6.12<blahblahblah-extension>

Trying to use a kernel that's not provided by Mandriva is a real ballache. It compiles fine, and boots fine, but things just well, stop working. Mainly due to Mandriva's kernels being patched which makes lives difficult for those who want to compile their own.

Just use urpmi as ix says, it's far easier and hassle-free. Or if you really need a newer kernel for hardware issues, then another distro might be the way forward. Otherwise you'll spend too much time trying to get one to work in Mandriva, trust me, I've been there, but still use Mandriva :P

Under distros that use a vanilla (or close to that) kernel, compiling the newest (and possibly not greatest) kernel is a piece of cake.

But under distros that use loads of patches, like Mandriva or SuSE, compilation of a newer kernel is a huge pain in the butt. You may be able to compile "successfully" after a while, only to discover that some things ain't working properly, if at all.