First Time Mandriva 2006 (Free) User

Guest Grumblebum

Guest Grumblebum

Background: Long time MS user and have been in user support for some 20 years. Have no knowledge whatever of Linux.

Trying to set up connection for first time, have Netcomm ADSL USB modem. If I try to configure ADSL, Mandriva will only recgnise my internal network card, not the ADSL modem. If I try to do it via the configure modem route, it doesn't recgnise a USB modem, it asks me which serial port the modem is connected to.

As an aside, when setting Mandriva up, it asked me which desktop I wanted. Sonce KDE was the default, I chose it. Can I change to the other flavours (Gnome, for instance) from the console, or do I need to reinstall?

What would be the best book to buy to familiarise myself with Mandriva's usage? Obviously, I'm in no position yet to sart using command line instructions...

At the moment, I'm dual booting Windows XP Pro and Mandriva 2006. Obviously, I'm typing this query in XP!!

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

A hearty welcome to MUB.

Since you have an ADSL modem , does it have a LAN socket ???.

If it does and your mainboard has an onboard LAN socket then use a LAN connection instead of USB. Words cannot describe the pain in the posterior you get from trying to set up USB ADSL. If you don't have onboard LAN, then consider buying a PCI card for LAN. They are quite cheap.

When you start setting up your ADSL connection settings in MCC (Mandriva Control Centre) do not make the mistake of selecting ADSL, you must select LAN.

The entire process only takes a couple of minutes and you are up and running. Please let us know how you go.

Cheers. John.

I have been using linux (Mandrake 10.1) for about 12 months now.

I have a netcomm Plus4 Ethernet/USB ADSL modem 4 port router.

I think coming from Windows I sort of thought it was going to be difficult to get the internet up and running - so it was :D

If your modem is connected to your PC via USB port (as opposed to ethernet cable) you may find that Linux has configured everything during boot up. If so its dead easy - just open a browser window type in 192.168.1.1 and then:-

Type in admin as the username

Type in password as the password

The configuration window for your netcomm modem will appear.

IP address 192.168.1.1

Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

User name = whatever your username is with your ISP

Password = whatever your password is with your isp

WAN Type PPPoE LLC

VPI 8

VCI 35

Bridge Disabled

Then hit

Submit

Save Setting and Reboot (on the left hand side of the screen)

Connect - the browser status bar starts flashing navy blue

If all is well "Not Connected"will change to "Connected"

Hit the "home" icon and away you go (I hope)

If this fails I guarantee you that ianw1974 will come to your rescue - He is one of the lovely people on this board who help people like me find out how to use Linux :D

By the way I would stick with KDE for the time being - it seemed to me that it was the most user friendly for configuration purposes. Since then I sort of got to like Gnome for desktop appearance. (I love them both everybody) :D

In KDE you have got to discover the delights of Mandrake Control Centre (MCC) open a terminal and type in MCC - you will get a prompt asking you for your root password (that is because when you get in there you can break things) :D

By the way in MCC in the boot menu if you disable autologin I think you may get a choice to choose the session type when you login - there is a drop down menu on my box from which I can choose KDE, Gnome and several other desktops.

One last word of advice don´t worry about books hang around hear and find out about URPMI :D - check out the "Easy Urpmi" link at the top of this page.

AussieJohn is a lovely fellow also (and smarter than me) ;)

If this fails I guarantee you that ianw1974 will come to your rescue - He is one of the lovely people on this board who help people like me find out how to use Linux

Ah, many thanks for the vote of confidence - muchly appreciated :D

WAN Type PPPoE LLC

VPI 8

VCI 35

Bridge Disabled

these values can vary depending on where you're located. UK is normally VPI=0 and VCI=38 and is PPPoA connection. In Poland (where I am now) is 0 and 35, also PPPoA.

I can't suggest anymore on your usb modem as I tend to use ADSL Routers with LAN ports, and I use network cards in my machine to connect to the ADSL router, and the router manages the connection. But, if it has a LAN port - use this instead. Lots of people have problems with USB modems, and usually recommend that you get a ADSL router instead. Far better and more secure as has built-in firewall as well.

Guest Grumblebum
Since you have an ADSL modem , does it have a LAN socket ???.

If it does and your mainboard has an onboard LAN socket then use a LAN connection instead of USB. Words cannot describe the pain in the posterior you get from trying to set up USB ADSL. If you don't have onboard LAN, then consider buying a PCI card for LAN. They are quite cheap.

When you start setting up your ADSL connection settings in MCC (Mandriva Control Centre) do not make the mistake of selecting ADSL, you must select LAN.

The entire process only takes a couple of minutes and you are up and running. Please let us know how you go.

Many thanks for your suggestion. ADSL modem is a NetComm1200 with NO LAN socket, otherwise I would have tried that route! Sorry about my tardy response -- it's been a long and trying working week,also in Australia (Canberra). Guess I'm back to square one! Cheers,

Phil

192.168.1.1 and then:-

This didn't work either -- I got an 'Access denied'message. Thanks for your other suggestions. they're filed for future reference, when I get up and running in Linux. Looks like I go out and buy and ADSL router! Cheers,

Phil

WAN Type PPPoE LLC

VPI 8

VCI 35

Bridge Disabled

these values can vary depending on where you're located. UK is normally VPI=0 and VCI=38 and is PPPoA connection. In Poland (where I am now) is 0 and 35, also PPPoA.

I can't suggest anymore on your usb modem as I tend to use ADSL Routers with LAN ports, and I use network cards in my machine to connect to the ADSL router, and the router manages the connection. But, if it has a LAN port - use this instead. Lots of people have problems with USB modems, and usually recommend that you get a ADSL router instead. Far better and more secure as has built-in firewall as well.

Thanks for your respponse also. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted! Cheers,

Phil