Installing another windows manager

From experience I can tell you you can safely remove all of KDE without borking your install, okay you'll be without the kde programs and without stuff like Kaffeine and Opera (although the static build should work) but you can't do the same with GNOME without losing all Mandriva stuff.

You can always just keep KDE installed, most programs which depend on KDE should still be able to run.

I never tried fluxbox, only icewm, it was fast and basic but in the mean time I managed to get KDE to start up a bit quicker too, though I don't know what I did exactly. Something with running various dcop*** (either dcopstart, dcop, dcopclient, dcopserver) commands and kbuildsyscoca --no-incremental --global. After playing around a little the massive load of messages when starting kde apps from terminal stopped and they started way faster.... sorry for being vague :sad:

Edited by ffi

Using fluxbox is easy.

urpmi fluxbox

After that, it will be automatically added to the login-manager for selection. If you run fluxbox (of course you should not run any other session like KDE at the same time), the system will of course be faster as fluxbox is the least resources consuming windowmanager after icewm. You can also install fluxboxconfig for additional tweaking, if you don't want to change the scripts/config files manually.

Just use the KDE or Gnome login manager (whichever you use). It is added to the selection-list of the loginmanager menu automatically. No need for going into init 3.

you probably have your system set up to automatically log you in. you can change this in the boot options in mandriva control center. once you turn off auto-login you'll get the login window.

unless of course you are logging in at a prompt and running startx everytime you boot your computer...

unless of course you are logging in at a prompt and running startx everytime you boot your computer...

In that case he needs to install the Xtart package since that will give him the choice of which WM/DM to run and handle the gritty X stuff. I have been using it since 8.0/8.1.

ciao!