advice about Mandriva 2006

Rowan

Hello all

I am considering updating from 10.1 Official to 2006 and I have just one important question.

Do the ATI drivers that come with 2006 automatically install and configure OR would I still need to muck about doing it manually ?

I ask because my system uses a Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card and I would like to play games ( UT2003, Doom3, Quake4 etc ) but trying to install the drivers manually has been a bit of a nightmare and so I gave up in frustration.

All the reviews that I have read so far have been glowing so I want to get an official factory pack with manuals to get away from download iso's that always have read errors for me.

Any opinions will be gratefully accepted and considered before I proceed.

Never tried the paying version but ATI drivers should install automatically. But before trying to install 2006 note that when it came out had some very serious bugs so before installing download the Core updates CD and start the installation with that and not the with the paying version.

The core updates CD is club member only but with buying a Power Pack you'll get 1 month silver membership AFAIK so you can download it.

Or instead of buying a Power Pack you can buy 1 year of club membership and download the December club release where all the showstopper bugs has been fixed.

All the reviews that I have read so far have been glowing so I want to get an official factory pack with manuals to get away from download iso's that always have read errors for me.

Any opinions will be gratefully accepted and considered before I proceed.

1./ If a downloaded ISO from the offical doesn't work and you checked the MD5 sum then its most likely you are burning at too high a speed.

2./ Last powerpack I purchased the CD's were unusable and full of errors so bad you could actually see the disks were not quite round and physically damaged. I gave up trying to get (then) Mandrake to replace them and ended up with the download version so I wouldn't bank on getting better quality CD's from the official factory made ones.

I obviously haven't purchased another set since so I can't say if they have improved quality or not....

If you want commerical quality then cover disks on magazines can be a good source and in my experience much better quality in terms of the CD presssing than mandriva ones.

Hello all

I am considering updating from 10.1 Official to 2006 and I have just one important question.

Do the ATI drivers that come with 2006 automatically install and configure OR would I still need to muck about doing it manually ?

I ask because my system uses a Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card and I would like to play games ( UT2003, Doom3, Quake4 etc ) but trying to install the drivers manually has been a bit of a nightmare and so I gave up in frustration.

Running Mandriva 2006.1 with a Radeon 9600, after many tries I found out that using ati-xorg plus dkms from plf worked fine (inlcuding 3D support). Choosing this method, you should discard all propriatary (fglrx) drivers. The driver will be compiled against your kernel (automatically) before first use, so you also need the sources matching your kernel, too.

HTH,

scoonma