Going through the GUI as root? [solved]

linux n00b

A situation I've run into is that I login as my regular user, but then need to install some stuff like a webapp and my web-folder is only accessible by root and so I have to move and rename things in the command prompt and that takes longer than i like, so is there a way I can login as root for the GUI temporarily so I can move/rename/delete stuff fast?

Not really. :)

If you look at the properties for Nautilus on the taskbar (right click on the icon?), you may be able to set up something similar to the kdesu shortcut using gnomesu, but it's not installed by default.

If a Gnome user doesn't step in to help, I'll check it out when I get home.

I use gksu to open nautilus from my administrator-users desktop, it's no big deal, install gksu (it's in the contribs-section afaik) and put a desktop or menu-entry somewhere with [gksu nautilus], you can even start konqueror filemanager from there with [gksu "konqueror -profile filemanagement"], there is an app called gksuexec which is part of the gksu-package, it will open a dialog, that asks you what program you want to be started and under which user it should run