ATI Driver Installation Problem

Guest Swys

Can anyone PLEASE help me? I am so frustrated! I have looked all over the net to see if I could find instructions for installing the ATI drivers for Linux. I have tried everything I could find, but nothing helped.

I am still a noob to Linux. I am using Mandriva 2006 Free.

Is there anyone who could PLEASE give me a detailed description of all the steps I must follow to install the drivers? I would be forever greatful if someone could help.

I don't know if it would help, but I am using an ATI Radeon 9550

Edited by Swys

it depends on whether you can live with the free ati-drivers that are already part of x.org or if you want the commercial ones, for the free drivers you just have to install the x.org-packages, if you configured your graphical environment during installation then they should be already there, now you can try either the driver "radeon" or "radeon (fglrx)" both worked for me on a radeon 9000 pro, you can choose them either from the console with XFdrake or from within the graphical environment from the Mandriva Control Center

for the commercial ones I can't tell you exactly since I never used them

the drivers that ATI provides on their website are often referred to as "commercial". they can also be called "non-free" or "non-GPL"...it's all referring to the same thing ;)

I could never get ATI's drivers working with my Radeon 9250. I used the ones with Mandriva, and they worked perfectly fine. Just make sure you have Mesa installed, and xorg configured with:

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

and you should be fine with ATI (fglrx) when configuring your screen. I get about 1200fps with this card, but cannot get anything with ATI's drivers.

Another point is to make sure that your monitor is correctly configured in xorg.conf, it may seem strange, if poorly configured it can still work fine with the GPL drivers, but as soon as you throw in the ATI driver it will penalise you for a poorly congurated monitor.

You should not have any problems with the 9550, I use one and get around 2500 fps with the ati driver (although I use Fedora and the livna drivers).

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

I've used the ATi-drivers from there site and the ones from the urpmi-sources, but the ATi-drivers from the ATi-site give much better performance. But there a little bit more difficult to install. With MDV that is. I can't give you the exact numbers anymore, because I'm using FC5 now and make use of the Livna-supplied ATi-drivers. :P