Unable to get floppy to mount

Rowan

Hello all

Recently I found that I am unable to get my floppy to mount. It was going ok but now it won't play ball at all. I normally wouldn't worry about such small things but I need it for my job. I have searched the archives and tried some things that I found but none have worked and I am afraid that I may have buggered something unknowingly.

I am running 10.1 official and it is otherwise running reasonable well. Here are the contents of my fstab file.

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 umask=0,user,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 umask=0,user,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,users 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto umask=0,user,iocharset=utf8,sync,unhide,noauto 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Also my cdroms have been playing up recently so if anybody can cast any light upon what needs to be corrected (and how to do it) I would be very grateful.

The floppy and cdroms work ok in Windows.

Many thanks in anticipation.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

This is my fstab entry for my floppy, maybe match yours like this, and see how you get on:

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

And this is the CDROM entry you can try also:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

Try for now with changing the "auto" entry for the fileformat to "vfat". That should do the trick.

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat umask=0,user,iocharset=utf8,sync,unhide,noauto 0 0

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice. I had endless problems getting access to fstab and still it

wouldn't play ball so I just did "chmod a+rwx /mnt/floppy" and now it works. My cdrom and dvdrom seem to have come right so I will just let it sleep.

Once again thanks for your help.