Problems installing Mandriva Linux

Hello. I have just learned to dual boot Windows XP and Mandriva for free through this guide here. The problem is, this is the only guide I could find, and it is outdated, and I think I did a few things wrong for the installation. Everything had been going well since "Partitioning, Formatting, and Installing Linux." I created partitions for boot, swap, and root, left my XP partition, and the rest is for Linux free space, which I think I am supposed to do. But after this, during installation, it keeps on being unable to install certain files, and prompts for different CDs... which I put in the CD drive yet keeps on ejecting it. It took many tries to get it working. But a major problem then arose: after asking what packages I want to install (eg. the GUI and environment), it says:

An error occurred
Idconfig failed

and goes back to that screen about the packages, and this problem repeats in a loop. There is also no cancel button, and the CD won't eject, so I had to physically turn off my system.

Mandriva is now probably partially installed on my system, yet I cannot fix it without repartitioning. I'm also not sure if I was burning the CDs at too high of a speed (12x) was a factor. Does anyone know how to fix this problem, or know a better, newer guide to dual-booting XP and Linux? (If no one can find a guide, is anyone kind enough to substitute what I am supposed to do different than when that old guide was written, eg. the new partition manager?)

Thank you for reading this long post.

Welcome to the board.

A couple of things: 1) 12x is generally too high, I generally go no higher than 4x, also make sure you have checked the md5sums, 2) for a general desktop three partitions are most reasonable - /, /home, and swap. It is good to have /home on its own partition so your data and settings are kept separate from everything else. How big / is will depend on what you will want to install, for my simple desktop needs 5GB is sufficient.

Good luck.

Thanks for your replies. But I have a few questions: which is the space for other files, such as documents and games (I carved my 80GB hard drive, alotting 50 gigs to Windows, so where do I put the rest of the free space for Linux); does swap have a "/" before it; and how do I do a MD5sum check? I checked its Wikipedia article, I have no idea what to do with the Windows MD5 checker program listed there.

Also, I used Fujifilm CD-Rs with jewel cases that I bought in a ten-pack to burn Mandriva discs; I guess yes, 12x is too high, but wasting 3 CDs is just a shame.

Thank you for replying, but I'm still having trouble with that method because again, it is for in Linux only. I have tried multiple attempts at it in Windows, but no luck, especially the "$" part, which I don't know what to substitute with. I think it would be wise to just try downloading the isos again and checking those files with the md5sum program and burning at a very low speed.

However, I still would like assistance in the installing part. Also, can anyone guess if Mandriva is partially installed on my system, since it went through a fair amount of installation before I had to turn off my computer?

Turn off all features like acpi and apci for installation. This is more likely the cause of you situation. And reinstall. The system is not "partially installed". I am assuming that the install proceeds to around 10 minutes and then fails. It is your computer doing this. The linux installer is not as capable as the linux system. Most special features do not work until reboot, including acpi.

Finallly I got Mandriva working! I just used auto configure, then used the install cds onto hard drive option. I am now using Mandriva right now, although it seems to be a bit laggy at the time. I didn't even need to go through all the steps on that dual-boot thing... GRUB shows both Windows and Linux already, although what does linux-nonfb and failsafe mean?

Edited by FlyingPenguins

although what does linux-nonfb and failsafe mean?

linux-nonfb is running the boot process in plain text mode (in case your videocard does not support the framebuffer used), and failsafe is booting your system to runlevel one (single user environment) for recovery purposes, if something goes REALLY wrong. Most of the times you won't need any of them.

Best few commands for you to run after install from a console prompt:

su (enter root password when prompted)
urpme kat
urpme lisa
urpme portmap
urpme nfs-utils-clients

you won't need any of them, and they free up some services and especially the removal of kat as daniewicz says, will make your system so much faster. Kat is pants.

Oh, and apply updates to your system, and visit the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, so that you can easily download new software.

Disabling KAT won't change it. You have to remove KAT, unless there is a fixed package available online that doesn't slow down your box anymore.

Edit: Oh, Ian was faster. :)