Upgrade Problem

shimshon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I do that?

There's nothing to be done now, I'm afraid...

Linux bzq-84-108-105-19.cablep.bezeqint.net 2.6.11-6mdksmp #1 SMP Tue Mar 22 15:40:42 CET 2005 i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz unknown GNU/Linux

This means you are running Mandriva 2005LE.

ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/...hesis.hdlist.cz

(others of the same league as well, including SeerOfSouls)

This means you have set 2006.0 repositories over 2005LE. Only solution (other than reinstalling from scratch) would be removing ALL updates, but I'd be rather surprised if urpmi is still working for you.

Yes, the system is really borked. The easiest way is to make a new 2006 installation from scratch. However there might be one last chance to rescue the system. As you apparently have already all 2006 mirrors set up, try launching these commands as root from the command line

urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto

urpmi kernel

If it works afterwards, then you are more than lucky, but chances are that you have to reinstall.

Note: The normal upgrade path is adding the 2006 mirrors and launching

urpmi.update -a

urpmi kernel

from an init 3 environment (= command line only instead of starting the graphical server). If you don't do it that way, the system will have packages that were built with an old compiler next to packages that were built with a new compiler and rely on a newer kernel. This is asking for trouble. Think of it this way. You drive an old Ford Model T and decide to upgrade the tires, the seats, the steering wheel and some other things to a Ford Mondeo. But you forget to replace the engine, the wiring, to add the now required board-computer etc. You will have a car that MIGHT be able to drive but probably won't.

Yes, the system is really borked. The easiest way is to make a new 2006 installation from scratch. However there might be one last chance to rescue the system. As you apparently have already all 2006 mirrors set up, try launching these commands as root from the command line

urpmi kernel

If it works afterwards, then you are more than lucky, but chances are that you have to reinstall.

If RPM is still working, as opposed to urmpi then it might be possible to download urpmi and its deps (curl etc.) and reinstall manually then reinstall urmpi then do the repair?

i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz unknown GNU/Linux

This means that you should get and install the x86-32 version (as you're already doing).

After installing, please be VERY careful not mixing repositories again of various Mandriva flavours. Some people here have some luck mixing "stable/official" with "Cooker", but personally I consider such successes sheer luck... see what arctic said above.

Surely enough it's possible to drive a family car with a truck steering wheel, provided that you are Michael Schumacher... if you aren't, then definitely AVOID IT.