Hard Drive question

kjc5664

RMA?

Yes, RMA. You contact them for support, they try to diagnose and fix your problem. If it's then decided it cannot be fixed, or it is an actual hardware fault anyway, they then generate an RMA to get your unit replaced.

So yes, this is linked with warranty, or in my case, it wasn't since mine had expired :P

RMA? If that's anything to do with warranty, I get the full vendor warranty through the place I buy my products. Just take it back to them, they send it of, deal with it, and I get a call a few weeks later to pick up the new device. Pretty good service imho, and no effort needed on my behalf.

Yep this is a definate plus for buying from local vendors, even if the price is a bit higher than you can get over the internet. Even if its an OEM drive a good local retailer will take it back no questions....

The seagate one is ... well weird?

Its partly my fault for buying it in the UK (where its cheaper) but the whole site doesn't say anything until you get to commiting the transaction. There is a whole load of legalese on the site basically saying that if you provide any incorrect info seagate will view this as fraud ... so going through you get to the final point then it tells you it cannot continue with "your browser" ... of course we can spoof the ID strings but they also log the entire thing with OS and everything ...

Since they have a big fat warning I didn't try and go through the procedure again .... so I filled out the weform for enquiries which logs everything from IP to OS and kernel version and browser....the answer is

Registration and User Account FAQs

General

edits: oops copied and pasted the whole FAQ...

Q. What are the minimum system requirements for using my.seagate.com?

A. To use my.seagate.com, you need one of the following systems:

Operating System Computer RAM Browser

Windows XP

Windows 2000

Windows ME

Windows NT 4.0 IBM compatible

233 MHZ or faster 64MB (minimum) Netscape 4.79 or later

Internet Explorer 5.5 or later

spacer

Macintosh OS X 10.2 or later Any Macintosh computer Safari 1.0 or later

spacer

Solaris 8 or later SPARC 128MB (minimum) Netscape 4.79 or later

However they also sent me

Normally you should not have any problems while creating RMA irrespective of the OS. However, if you encounter any difficulties, while approving RMA, we request you to provide us the drive details so that we can approve RMA on your behalf.

which is nice :D

The fact is the Seagate warranties are REALLY good... I have returned a few from work (but I bought hundreds, perhaps thousands for disk arrays to put into context) and in each occaision you fill out the RMA, it gets processed and you get a replacement drive. No arguaments, no did you drop it etc.

When I bought the faulty disk I bought two.... the other is still going ... but when I moved I eventually gave up carting the dead disk about... after a while the price of a new one has dropped so low per MB its not worth even postage ....

I can also say some of the disk arrays I replaced had seagates which had run 24x7 for 5 years + and lets face it a 5yr old disk is worthless since the size increases so quick...

We had one unit just under 5 yrs old which had two (2 GB) disks fail (out of 64) after 5 yrs and technically they may have been under warranty but by that time the whole 128 could be replaced with faster disks for hardly anything ... indeed the entire array was 128 GB and at the tiome 36GB was normnal so 4 disks replaced the entire array and the cost was probably covered by the next months electricity bill anyway!

The bottom line is I guess you get what you pay for.... warranties over 5 yrs are pointless because the drive value is gone... and in my experience seagates fail either from purchase or after 5 yrs.

I just find the requirements above rather... strange?

edits see above

Edited by Gowator