Stardust: the first OpenOffice macro virus ever

scarecrow

Just a matter of time when something gets popular. At least it's nothing destructive as of yet, but more a proof-of-concept that it can happen. I wonder what the adult-content is :P

Weird, I can't find any details about this which even hints at it being a virus. It's on slashdot, it's on theregister, but it doesn't say anywhere what it actually demonstrates that's a 'vulnerability'. From Kaspersky, this macro they've written is:

theoretically capable of infecting StarOffice and/ or OpenOffice. It's written in Star Basic. It downloads an image file (with adult content) from the Internet and then opens this file in a new document.

So it sounds like they've written a macro which downloads an image file. Well woop-de-doop, hardly a revolution. Probably took them a good half-hour. But it doesn't say anywhere that it does this without permission, and it doesn't say it exploits any bug or requires a patch. It's a macro. And most importantly it doesn't say it can spread itself, which would really make it a virus.

Sounds like an antivirus manufacturer wants to make some news by hyping a threat. No, surely not ;)

Curiously, the article talks about the great success of finding vulnerabilities in linux, yet it fails to mention anything at all like a windows machine attack. Theoretical attacks are nice, but windows attacks are real everyday and wreck havoc in the computing world. I thought I was going to read about a real threat. B)

I thought about this last night. With Linux, and now it seems OpenOffice, they gave a hint that a virus was possible and demonstrated so that we get the chance to fix it before it has the chance to get worse.

With Microsoft however, they usually just get infected without any actual warning of "hey we found something, just letting you know" kind of thing. Funny that :o

it's been mentioned before, but losing $HOME is potentially more damaging for a single user linux system than losing the root partition.

for me, that's very true, so I make regular backups. And I never click on shell scripts which say "rm -rf ~/"

:P

losing home can be pretty annoying, but at least it's still bootable

lol, I imagined how this might sound to someone outside Linux

/solarian does a /home backup

Edited by solarian

...and if you use a journalised FS, you can probably get your data back.
Erm... I think it depends a lot on what happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even a file system with a journal doesn't store the old contents of files. If a malicious program writes a gig of zeroes over your /home directory, nothing in the journal will be able to get you your files back. Journaling helps a lot if a write operation failed halfway, and you'll be able to reperform the write operation, but if it succeeded then I think it would be extremely difficult to recover overwritten data.

Arthur's right. True for a corporate, critical server the most important thing is compromising the root, but for a single-user home machine that just means a bit of downtime and a quick reinstall - a signficant but only temporary annoyance. Losing all the personal stuff on /home could be a major nightmare if you haven't got backups - whether the machine is bootable or not..

http://lwn.net/Articles/186096/rss

Press release and commentary.

Seems that this has been sensationalised, which seems about right. This 'virus' doesnt actually do anything 'virulent'. it has no propagation mechanism of any sort, nor does it exploit anything.

Nothing to see here folks, please move along quietly and dont disturb the nesting penguins.

Edited by iphitus