ADSL config using USB modem [solved]

Guest mer

I'm running Mandriva in a P4 system.

I use the Huawei SmartAx MT841 USB modem to connect to the internet in Windows Xp

I suppose mandriva detects the modem as SID0.. But further config (DHCP, static IP et al) doesnt help..

Please Help..

Thanx in advance.. :P

sit0 is ipv6.

I would suggest clicking System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake and in here find your modem and see if it has a module listed for it. And let us know what module. Then, you would need to go System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer and then configure a network connection to use the adsl modem.

USB modems are a nightmare and not all of them work with Linux. You're much better off with a DSL router to manage your internet connection, and use an ethernet card in your machine to connect to the DSL router, and then get your connection this way.

Everyone here will recommend this because of all the problems experienced with USB modems.

I agree with Ian. Check if your modem has a Lan port as well as the usb port. Most do. I see your model has 4 ports so that is a great start.

Then connect to the Lan port on your mainboard. Again most do. The lan connection is very simple and usually you are connected and running in a couple of minutes. This saves you spending even more money on buying a router.

Cheers. John.

Thanx john and ian..

I have connected the modem to my lan card..

It is automatically detected..

But I'm still not able to connect to the internet..

My modem has been preconfigured and stored with the user id and password..

So, I'm not able to simualte the PPPoE with eciadsl or other tools..

What can I do?

Please help!!

When you open MCC and do your setting up, do not make the mistake of selecting ADSL just because you have an adsl modem and making an sdsl link.

You MUST select LAN and then follow from there.

John.

As John says, don't choose ADSL whatever you do, this used to be a real nightmare last time I tried to get rid of.

You don't need ANY pppoe stuff at all if your router is configured.

You just set it up as a network and configure it using DHCP which will give you an IP and set the routing info.

you can run a terminal and check that an ip is configured by issueing

ifconfig <ifname> (where ifname is the name its given like eth0)

This should show an IP address if its working on DHCP

if this looks OK then you can try

route

this should show routing info and the IP of the router should be listedroot@Kanotix32:/usr/lib# route

Kernel IP routing table
Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags Metric Ref	Use Iface
192.168.1.0	 *			   255.255.255.0   U	 0	  0		0 lan0
default		 192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0		 UG	0	  0		0 lan0

In mine my router is 192.168.1.254 and is listed as the default yours should look similar

You should also have a resolv.conf which controls DNS resolution

root@Kanotix32:/usr/lib# more /etc/resolv.conf
search
nameserver 212.27.54.252
nameserver 212.27.53.252

In this case the name server is given by my ISP....

The IP, routing and resolution should all be set by DHCP but they can be configured manually.

It might be an idea to go through them manually to get stuff working so you can try other things and still get back to a working internet connection... at least that way its easier to post things here :D

There is a complete differentiation between using the USB port and LAN port on a DSL modem. The usb port is used for traditional dialup type connections, which is where you choose the ADSL option. The LAN port is when using traditional networking, and therefore is when you choose LAN. You cannot choose ADSL because it's not a dialup connection anymore. Just basic LAN connectivity, as the usb modem is doing all the rest.

Unless of course your provider uses PPPOE, but this is quite rare from what I have come across so far. Most connections are PPPOA. The difference:

PPP over Ethernet hence PPPOE

PPP over ATM hence PPPOA

totally different types of connection. The one you choose depends on your provider.

Thank you all for helping me solve this issue!

@ Ian

My modem is one of those rare kinds.. it uses PPPoE..

@Gowator

your suggestion worked..

All I had to to after checking was to include the primary and the secondary DNS information in the /etc/resolve.conf

Thankyou all again..

woohoo!!!

Thank you all, and especially Mr Gowator for the info he gave to the original poster with regards to the resolv.config, which after reading got me to investigate it, rearange the order of the ip addies, and bam........

My situation was a little different to the original posters, I had set up my speedtouch usb modem, which was very easy, just download a couple of files, run a script, enter some info, and away it went, but it didn't perform to good, it would download files etc at full speed, but accessing web pages would give a 15 to 30 sec pause before anything happend, and then when it did it was a little slow, trying to play streaming radio with Amarok etc wouldn't work, I guess they would time out or something. But after looking at the resolv.config and changing the order of things, everythings how it should be.

I was just about to buy another Modem and router after reading about the troubles with usb modems and especially the one I have, so I am glad I re read this thread, saved me a couple of $'s, and my trusty little speedtouch usb modem is as easy as to setup.

One step closer to being windows free...

//me is a happy little penguin :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Esskie

Hi there,

Sorry to shake this thread up again but it's relevant to my query so....

Like mer, I too use a USB modem with XP & different distros if I can get it configured :unsure: . It's an Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch 330 same as jagwah's funnily enough.

I d/l'd a few files & install scripts for Mandriva 10.1 & read a lot at linux-usb.org around the release of 10.1 but tbh, I gave up after many failed attempts. Was messing around with Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) around the sametime and remember being frustrated reading posts by ppl who'd got their 330's working :hanged::rolleyes: .

Despite having used Mandrake on & off (more off than on!! since v7.2 on various pc's I'm still very much a noob.

I have to say though, from having loaded up the Mandriva One 2006 Live CD, this release certainly looks like being very promising in regard to hardware working from the word go without any messing with *.conf files etc!?!.

For example from the Live CD, my sound worked, my LG-4167B DVDRAM & Teac W516B CDRW both worked as burners with no mounting or intervention from me.

I think my GF6600 is playing game this time round too, or at least it's rendering the OpenGL screensavers?.

If I can get my Speedtouch operational I can see this release of MDK/Mandriva being the one that sees me replacing M$ XP (maybe a dual-boot for a while depending on how gaming behaves?).

When I'm using HardDrake to configure the speedtouch, which is recognised, the 1st run saw it asking for alcaudsl.sys to be placed into /usr/share/speedtouch & renamed as mgmt.o.

I took the file from my windows\system32\drivers folder, is this ok?

Now it isn't asking for alcaudsl.sys but I'm still having problems connecting.

My connection is PPPoA, VPI:0 & VPI:38.

In XP's Device Manager there are two entries for the Speedtouch, 1) Under 'Network Adapters' as 'Speedtouch ADSL USB PPP' & 2) under 'Speedtouch USB Modem' there is ''Speedtouch 330 ADSL Modem'.

Can you please tell me is there anyway I could either use the Speedtouch like a network card or install a NIC & use it instead/or with?.

Judging by the hassle with USB modems I'm nearly at the point of buying a router, installing a 3Com 10/100 NIC I have & doing it that way but would prefer to get the 330 working if it's possible?.

If any of you folks can help me out I'd really appreciate your assistance nomatter how big or small!.

Regards, Esskie