Linux For All? The Frustrated Beginning

Guest melchizedeck

Guest melchizedeck

Hi, I have mandrakelinux installed i moved to linux for first time,last weekend,(i mean, i am a brandnew novice) i had to reinstall linux four times, last on sunday at night.Well i like it , and tried to look for games,applications and software in the web, i found and downloaded a few games, then i discovered that there is not .exe file like in windows, looking throught the web for help i discovered that i have to compilate software ( i don`t know what compilate means) and i don`t know how to compilate games,software or a screensaver to run in linux. I saw some commands like MS-DOS in windows that i think i have to type to compilate games, but where and how may i do this in linux?, i also installed a package that emulate windows(it comes in the mandrakelinux install CDs)but after installed, i dont know where to look for the emulator and there is no icon that point to it. Sorry if those topics are not for this forum,but i need help. I think that linux would be more popular if there were documentations with topics like this. I tried some forums but it seems like nobody like novice like me,then i asked myself what for are the forums?, just for experts that have some troubles with a software or something?, what about the new comers like me that want to get into the linux world?.Mandrakelinux does not cover topics about compilating,installing and runnig compilated software in the manual (at least, not in deep). thanks for your time to read this.

Jim Mirabal

Guest knightrider

Hi. I am new in Linux to. Some tips:

1.- You need to know the conceps of compressed files (like Winzip)

2.- You have to learn what the console is and how to write command on it.

3.- The installations in Linux comes in .TAR and .RPM files.

4.- In general (not always) you have to compile the programa yourself. This is transform the source code into the executable file.

Get some information about the console first. Good look. And remember "ONLY LOOSERS QUIT"

Hi, and welcome to the board! :beer:

You're lucky, there are lots and lots of programs and software than you can get for your Mandriva without having to compile a thing! You only have to compile a program when it's really obscure or really new, and someone else hasn't compiled it for you already. Most of what you can think of is just an easy install away.

First of all, what version of Mandriva did you get and how did you get it? If you have a DVD, or a set of CDs, then you probably have a lot of extra software on there ready to be installed if you choose to. Go to your 'start' menu and look under System -> Configuration -> Packaging. There should be a menu item in there called "Install Software" - this will let you add extra programs if you know what you want.

The next step is to add extra network libraries to this install tool, so that it can get the right packages for you from the internet instead of from your install CDs / DVD. This is a little trickier to set up (only a little!) but we can talk you through that. Tell us what you've got and what you're looking for!

Guest melchizedeck

Well after ten years using windows, i know about compressed files and a little bit about MS-DOS and scripts,like php, if the terminal is like ms dos i think it would be easy to use, but wich ones are the commands?. If someone could tell me a few steps to compilate a game it would be more easy for me to start. I means, open the console, type this, hit enter,etc. and done. If someone one could expend a little time to explain it here, it will save my day.Thank you any way.

Just to clarify a couple of knightrider's points:

1.- You need to know the conceps of compressed files (like Winzip)
It helps, but it's not essential. If you know what a zip file is, great.

2.- You have to learn what the console is and how to write command on it.
Again, it helps but you can do a lot without using the console (like the DOS window)

4.- In general (not always) you have to compile the programa yourself. This is transform the source code into the executable file.
No, I disagree. Hardly ever should you have to compile anything yourself, certainly not as a novice. Everything you want should be already available for your system.

Tell us what you've got and what kind of software you're looking for.

Guest melchizedeck

I have 10.01, version. I've installed 3 Cds and some packages. I learned to install them'. I installed a package that emulate windows (i just wanted to try some windows programs)but after installed i don't see any icon or shorcut that point to the emulator, i dont know how to find and start it. if it is an apllication that run in the background, i dont know how to run windos programs with it. I downloaded some 3D screensavers for linux but it seems i have to compilate them. Games and screensavers are in .tar .tgk format. I used winrar to open them.

Well after ten years using windows, i know about compressed files and a little bit about MS-DOS and scripts,like php, if the terminal is like ms dos i think it would be easy to use, but wich ones are the commands?. If someone could tell me a few steps to compilate a game it would be more easy for me to start. I means, open the console, type this, hit enter,etc. and done. If someone one could expend a little time to explain it here, it will save my day.Thank you any way.

Hello.

If you have used MS-DOS earlier, you get used to Linux console. You can explore your system by going to places like /bin, /usr/bin. There are the executables for each program that is installed on your computer (yes, there are few more places, but you get started with these). You can run them by typing their name in the console. But as you are new to Linux environment, don't run programs from those places as root. You may do some serious damage to your system. Most of the programs have a small help, try typing this into the console (or CLI, if that's the one you want to call it):

lynx --help

Lynx is a text mode www browser. Please note, that you don't need to go to /usr/bin to use this program, you can use it anywhere from the system, even if you are in your home folder.

Next, try this:

lynx

It will open up that browser for you.

Oh, almost forgot to mention, but you can list the contents of a directory by using the ls command:

ls -la

This will give you some info about those files too. Try using ls too, with no other attributes and you see the difference.

Moving around in a Linux system is almost like moving in MS-DOS, just type

cd /home

and it will take you to the directory called /home.

I recommend you to explore the graphical side first and then move to the console side so you don't get frustrated. :P

There are lot of things you can do.

I have 10.01, version. I've installed 3 Cds and some packages. I learned to install them'. I installed a package that emulate windows (i just wanted to try some windows programs)but after installed i don't see any icon or shorcut that point to the emulator, i dont know how to find and start it. if it is an apllication that run in the background, i dont know how to run windos programs with it. I downloaded some 3D screensavers for linux but it seems i have to compilate them. Games and screensavers are in .tar .tgk format. I used winrar to open them.

Try searching packages that have .rpm in their name. Even better if you can find a package that says packagename.version.mdk.architecture.rpm. Those packages are meant to be installed in a Mandriva/Mandrake system.

.tar.gz, .tar.bz and .tar.bz2 files are mostly uncompiled software, and as new user, you shouldn't touch them.

If you see an interesting program that is in .tar format, try searching the Mandriva package database if that program can be installed from .rpm. You can do it like this:

urpmq packagename

If the package manager is able to find that application, just install it by using this command:

su root
<root_password>
urpmi packagename

Or use those graphical tools in Mandriva Control Center to do that.

Edited by Murda

What is the emulator called? If we know which program you're trying to use we can give some help.

Where did you get the screensaver from? If you get an "rpm" file for Mandriva 10.1 then this will be a lot easier to install and use than if you get a tar file and try to compile it yourself. Make things easy for yourself. The best way is via the "Install Software" tool mentioned earlier, and the best way to do that is to add network sources to it. What screensavers are you trying to get?

Guest melchizedeck

Thank you i will look for that kind of files. Thanks to all of you for help me. If anyone knows a site where i could find some games and application in this format, please post a link.(if it is allowed to post link here). Thank you again.

The emulator is named Winme or something,i dont remember. i am not in my PC now, it comes in the package of version 10.01 of mandrakelinux.

Thank you i will look for that kind of files. Thanks to all of you for help me. If anyone knows a site where i could find some games and application in this format, please post a link.(if it is allowed to post link here). Thank you again.

Read my edited post above, you don't actually need any sites. You should also click the link "Easy-Urpmi" on the top of this page and follow the instructions, so you get some more programs and games that you can install.

If you really want one rpm site, http://rpm.pbone.net/ is the place to go. Remember to check only Mandriva 10.x if you use the search function.

You should really consider updating to Mandriva 2006, it's freely available for download from Mandriva website.

I think the emulator his talking about is wine.. If it is wine you have to go to the directory where the program you want to run is. for example notepad

in my case it's cd /mnt/windows/program_files when your there using either Konsole you would type this without the quotes " wine notepad.exe" and it will run.

also a quick tip!

add the PLF and Main and Contrib repostories this will give you access to a crap load of files... you can do this by using Easy-Urpmi "at the very top of this page!!!" (next to Wiki and Help)

hope it helps.. Trust me keep at it and before long compiling your own Kernel :)

Edited by Shadowchaser

I can only think one thing right now:

Don't run before you can walk

quite a true saying. Take your time and learn before trying to jump into things too deeply. You need to learn the basics first before you should start compiling and other things like this.

For help on the system, you can use this:

man cp

which will give you help on the copy command. Also, do a google for Linux commands, and you should find some pages to help you out here. For example, here is a google search I did for "linux commands":

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=li...nds&btnG=Search

Another best thing for you to start with is to click System/Configuration/Packaging. In here is the Add/Remove programs, and you can search through here for things that you might want to install. For example, click the All option and type DVD and click search. It will filter by all the applications with dvd in their name. When you single click a program, you can click detailed information on the right, and read about what the package is.

Start with this, and using the system, before attempting to do anything a little more complicated. The link below is a really good resource:

http://www.google.com/linux

it filters all the results for Linux only stuff. And if you can't find anything for what you're trying to do, then you can post here, or even search here to see if someone has had a similar problem.

Remember, take your time. Sometimes, it's easier to use the packages available than attempt to compile them. I've never compiled anything under Mandrake/Mandriva, and never had the real need to (well, other than the kernel I compiled :P )

Welcome to the community. I know you may be a little frustated now, but it will all seem trivial after a few months of mistakes.

Where to look for answers? Well, you started at the right place. Check out http://www.brunolinux.com as well for all types of neat little pieces of Linux and Mandriva info.

You need to learn how to set up Software repositories. That way, most of the software you want will never have to be compiled. There is tons of information on setting up URPMI and SMART both here and on the brunolinux website. Once you've got some idea of how to set up the software repositories you should go here: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ I prefer to use the Smart Software manager, but I'll let you determine which package manager you prefer

Don't give up; get frustrated, but never give up, because you are only going where others have already gone and succeded. I've gotten everything I've ever wanted to use in Linux working with enough patience, and i've even got native windows applications like Explorer, MS Office, Photoshop, and a host of others also working nativly in linux. Believe it or not, the Gentoo Wiki is also a good place for information even though you're not using Gentoo Linux. http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page

Once you've gotten confortable with the basics and want to pretty up your desktop check out http://www.kde-look.org/ or http://www.gnome-look.org depending on your preference, for all the eye candy you can stomach.

And remember, the true power of linux comes from the wonderfull communities that will help you figure it all out. Check out http://www.linuxquestions.org. That is a website that has helped me repeatedly.

Edited by guppetto

And remember, the true power of linux comes from the wonderfull communities that will help you figure it all out. Check out http://www.linuxquestions.org. That is a website that has helped me repeatedly.

True, it's a good site. You also have this website too, which is a good resource for assistance as well as feeling a part of the community - and as you're already here, it must be good :D

That's why we're all here too, Mandriva and other Linux enthusiasts ready to help ;)