Linux For All? The Frustrated Beginning

Guest melchizedeck

Does anyone think it is worth explaining to Melchizedeck (what a great handle!) how konqueror can be used as a file manager with split screens and a terminal window? I am finding that this helps me make the transition from windows (as well as all the help I get from you guys :) ). Seeing what was going on in the system when you change directories in the address bar and when you open files with a mouse from the split windows was an eye opener to me. PS I will understand if anyone tells me to be quiet. :D

I can only think one thing right now:

Don't run before you can walk

quite a true saying. Take your time and learn before trying to jump into things too deeply. You need to learn the basics first before you should start compiling and other things like this.

This is the best advice.... really most people start off installing pre-packaged and compiled progs then when they get confident play about compiling their own then after a while you don't bother anymore unless its really something new/special...

Use easyurpmi, add the sources and play with what is available and get comfy with linux then start expanding that otherwise there are too many new concepts.

The biggest tip is its not like windows where you download a winzip_installer.exe and run it ... you use the repo's and they do it all for you, its different and many wondows experts findit difficult to adjust but really its simpler....

Later you can find RPM's (prepackaged files) elsewhere or even uncompiled source code but it will just be confusing right now.