Problem playing DVD [solved]

Leo

I have a DVD that was made for me and that plays fine on a DVD player (through TV) and on Windows XP however when I put the disc into my dv writer (and reader) on Mandriva 2006. It mounts as 'Blank DVD-R Disk' and shows no data on it at all. When I look at my syslog I can see

kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

Other discs work fine (pre-recorded and home movies). This is really frustrating as I need to copy the disc but cannot.

Any ideas?

Leo

Edited by Leo

do you know if the disk was finalized (various terms used for this) when it was burned? if it was burned under windows and not "finalized/closed/etc." then it may not be readable under linux.

arctic: AFAIK it is a normal DVD-R disc and all libraries/codecs are installed - any suggestions as to ones I could be missing?

ianw1974: I already installed libdvdcss

AussieJohn: Ah! :P

tyme: I know what you mean but could not say for sure, however it plays fine in windows (on a different machine) and on the dvd player plugged into my TV (which I would have expected to object to an unfinalised disc since it's manual warns against leaving discs unfinalised as a readability issue).

Is there any way to check whether it is finalised?

Leo

The only real way I know of to find out if it was finalised is to import the session in CD burning software. Although, I think you might need to know exactly what software created it, and might have to use the same software. Not sure if it can be imported using different software that what created it.

You could also tell the format of the DVD too with the burning software, to check if it is in UDF format like scarecrow mentions above.

Please post your /etc/fstab... you likely have a cd-rom ISO9660 argument in there, and that DVD was built and burnt as pure UDF.

Aha! I think you may have hit on it there, the fstab does indeed have an iso9660 argument for the mount point (I checked it last night but could not find anything else to change it to).

Should I create a /mnt/dvd entry with udf as the type to fix this?

Leo

This is my entry for the DVD in my machine:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

doesn't mention iso9660 here, so maybe try my parameters see how you get on.

The only real way I know of to find out if it was finalised is to import the session in CD burning software. Although, I think you might need to know exactly what software created it, and might have to use the same software. Not sure if it can be imported using different software that what created it.

You could also tell the format of the DVD too with the burning software, to check if it is in UDF format like scarecrow mentions above.

I have no idea what software was originally used, although I may give this a go with k3b (on the off-chance)

Leo

Change "iso9660" as well as "udf" or any other filesystem argument on that line to "auto" and see what happens...

While using only UDF as a DVD filesystem should work most of the times, I always tend to add Joliet and Rockridge extensions- which make it universally accepted, even under Windows 9X, which do not support UDF natively.

OK, I checked the fstab (actually I got my wife to do it as I'm at work) and it is set up pretty much the same as ianw1974 (the umask is different) so I am back to the drawing board on this one...

I may try setting a separate mount point for dvd with udf set explicitly just to make sure that it is not attempting to mount as iso9660 (although I appreciate this may well be a long shot)

Any more ideas?

Leo

Unsurprisingly, creating a new /mnt/dvd mount point for type udf did not work and I couldn't find a way to check if the dvd was unfinished. K3b recognises that a disc is present and that it is a dvd but doesn't recognise any content and doesn't see it as writeable (could this be because it has been finished?).

I am going to try it on another machine with a burner that runs XP tonight and see if it makes any difference since my work laptop (running XP) can see the disc and play its content.

Leo

You could always have a go using isobuster under Windows, and see how it recognises the disk. You'll be able to use most of it's functionality without having to register/purchase the software.

Maybe also try this. Create an iso image of the DVD you're having problems with, then attempt to mount the iso image under linux using the loopback feature. Does it mount, and can you access it then? Of course, means you have to create the iso under a machine that successfully recognises the disk, and then copy across to the Linux machine.

I know not ideal, but might help in troubleshooting the problem.