need help setting up linux/windows lan [solved]

derxen

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction with this. I have a linux pc (mandriva2006), there is a windows laptop, and a linksys wag54g wireless modem/router. Currently the pc is plugged into one of the linksys' ports, and the laptop picks up the wireless network. The linksys' dhcp server is turned on. I want to set up a lan, but I can't figure out where or how to begin. Do I have to give static ip addresses (the laptop isn't going anywhere else anymore)? Or can it be done with dhcp? But then what do I put in the routing table? I've done a lot of reading about lan's, but I can't find the answers to the simple questions. I think I can figure out samba later on my own, but first the machines need to know about each other, right? All I need are a few pointers.

thanks

derxen

You need very few with the router dhcp server on:

urpmi samba

service samba start

And then you can configure Samba (plus any firewall that might block access) in a wide variety of ways. Actually you can access the laptop from the Linux PC without having samba daemon running- it must be running to access the Linux PC from the laptop, though.

If the router has DHCP enabled, you won't need to worry about much. It will allocate an IP address to the machine, as well as the default route, which means you won't have to worry about the routing table too much. It should also pick up its DNS entries from here.

There is an FAQ on here about samba, and you can also install swat (urpmi swat) to administer it too, or the Mandriva wizards can help you here also (urpmi drakwizard).

If the router has DHCP enabled, you won't need to worry about much. It will allocate an IP address to the machine, as well as the default route, which means you won't have to worry about the routing table too much. It should also pick up its DNS entries from here.

That simple? Great! So how do I ping the laptop?

derxen

OK, you should be able to ping the laptop from another machine, but you'd need to know what IP is assigned to it. You can run:

ifconfig

on the laptop if it's using Linux, or ipconfig if Windows 2000/XP and then use this to ping it. Or the router might have a list of the machines it's assigned IP's to, so you could logon to the router and get the IP from there. Then:

ping ip_address

and see if it replies. If a firewall is running, it might not reply unless you configure it do accept ICMP and reply to it.