Want Help Installing Man '06 On XP PC With 2 HD's

AmEyeMad?

I noticed I made an error by typing lilo -m

I returned to console and typed lilo -M

I got the same info so I then typed

umount /dev/hdc5

exited and rebooted....as the pc was rebooting I removed the disc from the drive and all the 99 99 99 99's came back......

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you remount it again, and then check the contents of /mnt/etc/lilo.conf or if you chroot it first, then it'll just be /etc/lilo.conf. Does it look normal?

OK, try:

lilo -M /dev/hdc

and see if that helps.

This is the latest update on your advice......

/boot/boot.1600 exists - no /dev/hdc backup copy made

The Master Boot Record of /dev/hdc has been updated.

then the flashing cursor, waiting for my entry...

OK, if that was done within the chroot environment like before it should have read the /etc/lilo.conf file and updated it accordingly.

Reboot now and see how you get on.

I rebooted after removing the media but no luck...

when I type the chroot command and press enter, all that happens is another command prompt appears on the next line...is this right?

When I umount the hdc5 the response given is hdc5 not mounted....does this qualify for an unmounting of the drive or is it saying that hdc5 was never mounted in the 1st place...?

Be honest...I've stuffed my PC....and it was supposed to be an easy task.....???

Edited by AmEyeMad?

Chroot does return you to a command prompt, but what it effectively does is this. You mounted your disk under /mnt. When we use chroot, we effectively set /mnt = /

therefore, you cannot go below /mnt once chrooted until you type exit. It's so you can make it look as if you're booted within your distro and do anything command line wise that will relate to your distro and not the CD/DVD or environment your running.

Since you know your Windows partitions, I would make a point of clearing your existing Linux partitions and starting installing Mandriva 2006 from scratch. Using Custom Disk partitioning it's easy to figure out what is Linux and what is Windows partitions, so you can leave the Windows ones, delete the rest, and then install Mandriva 2006 again.

All that seems to be stuffed is either your installation isn't finished properly, or dodgy in some way which is why the boot loader isn't reinstalling correctly. Clearing the Linux partitions, and starting afresh will get you back to where you need to be. Just don't delete your Windows partitions, else you'll lose any data you have in here.

Ian,

When I am creating the partitions there is 1 for windows and 3 for linux on hdc, when I delete these linux partitions there is an empty 5gb or so space?

I am now in the hdd tab and resizing the last windows partition, creating 2 linux partitions; linux and Swap.

10gb for Linux and 1gb for Swap....

I only found the option to select Linux Native...I hope this is the right choice, there was a preference pull down menu which I couldn't understand the options on offer...

Extended, Primary and Extended _0x85

Should I enter an option for prefs in the 2 partitions I created???

They are also listed as Not Formatted. Do I format them in the Custom Partition section or will the installation format them?

Edited by AmEyeMad?

I normally just click create partition, select the mount point either / or /home or swap and then choose the filesystem type, ext3 would be ok for / and /home and then that's it.

Try to put swap first on the disk, it's faster to access that way. If you are getting other options, you are probably in Advanced mode, just return to normal instead.

choose the filesystem type, ext3 would be ok.

I can't find the option to choose this ext3 type...

I attach 2 screenshots before I move on....

I found the file system type, it's in advanced mode and it's in the same drop down menu where I selected Linux swap and Linux Native.

Should I re-select Journalised FS: ext3 for both partitions?

post-14636-1146229414_thumb.jpg

post-14636-1146229451_thumb.jpg

You don't need to go into Advanced mode at all. All you do is select the spare disk space, click the Create a partition button, or however it's labelled, choose the mount point, file system type (ext3) and that's about it. Alternatively click the auto-partition button instead, it'll do it all for you. Just make sure you only have Windows partitions at this point on the disk, delete whatever you've created so far, because it's not right.

I'm not sure what you're selecting, but you don't need advanced mode. It over-complicates things for you.

You don't need to go into Advanced mode at all. All you do is select the spare disk space, click the Create a partition button, or however it's labelled, choose the mount point, file system type (ext3) and that's about it. Alternatively click the auto-partition button instead, it'll do it all for you. Just make sure you only have Windows partitions at this point on the disk, delete whatever you've created so far, because it's not right.

I'm not sure what you're selecting, but you don't need advanced mode. It over-complicates things for you.

I'm so over Advanced Modes.....

I started over with the create partitions and I chose /, /home then clicked continue it then said I dont have a Swap so I created that.

I ended up with my Swap part last....oops

now I'm continuing with installation....

That's fine, swap is last on my system as well (laptop), because I left it as it was. Normally I put first when I build servers, etc.

Hope it works OK after install and that bootloader is OK.

As an extra, my server partitions:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1			   1		 249	 2000061   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2			 250		2681	19535040   83  Linux
/dev/sda3			2682		9729	56613060   83  Linux

Swap first, then root partition on /dev/sda2 and /home on /dev/sda3.

OK, Ian I started the process all over again and deleted my new partitions and created:

swap 1gb, / 5gb, /home 10gb

what of the huge 5gb empty partition space on my 80gb hdc?

The above are on 200gb hdd.

I'm now up to the installation of System....fingers crossed?!

Ian, will you still be online in 12 mins?