Remote Control for X Server [solved]

ianw1974

vnc can easily be tunneled via ssh.

The Gnome/KDE vnc daemon offers access to an already running xserver session (pretty much the same as x11vnc or x0rbfb (latter in mandriva) does, for opening a new, virtual VNC session as a new user you need tightvnc server up and running.

Perhaps no-machine is a better solution, but I have no real experience with it (as VNC cuts the cake for me), so I cannot say how good it is.

Notice that a VNC remote session manages whatever is manageable by your xserver, and so things like passing sound events to the remote machine is not an option (it works only if the remote machine is running KDE, and the "networked sound" option is enabled in the KDE sound settings). Maybe no-machine does that? Not sure, but I just think it doesn't...

with the memory requirements the terminal services does take a bit..

Don't know why you cannot see the terminal services.. I will look at mine again..

But it was those packages..

The TS will allow you to do a full network boot and run from the server..

If you are looking at this further at a later time check on www.LTSP.org

This is done using the same technology but not the same programs..

Which is better.. Tried both like both..

I've decided to go with ssh and use it this way, I quite like the way this works, rather than a remote control type situation.

All I need to do now is find an x client/server that is free for Windows, and then anyone using Windows can do a similar thing. Anyone know of any free x clients/servers that would work for this?

You may decide it is overkill, but Cygwin could be what you need: free X server, rootless (fullscreen but does not hide the Windows desktop), copy/paste between X and Win...

Havn't used it but you can probably configure the session to just start a windowed app not a desktop...

I used to do this at work with whatever windows client they used (forget now) just by editing the xinit sessions..

Many thanks for this, I'll try cygwin a little later, but works cool.

I just currently tested with my Linux laptop and it worked good, even tested vmplayer across it, which was nice but screen updates were a bit slow. This could be due to my laptop, or network connectivity, but it was 100Mbps link and the machine I'm using is a Celeron 2.5GHz, with 1GB RAM so maybe the machine could be a little slow for this type of thing. Works fine locally though so not sure where the issue is, but it's liveable. It's like using remote control across an internet link in terms of it's screen speed.

Actually, found a better way which works faster. I think using ssh with x forwarding was a bit slower.

So, for example, my ip's are:

192.168.1.2 - my laptop

192.168.1.3 - my server

I want to display the server apps on my laptop, so on my laptop I type:

xhost +192.168.1.3

to allow the server access to my x server. Then on the server I do:

export DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:0.0

to tell the server where to redirect the application output. Then after typing this I run the app I want, say kwrite or vmplayer, and then it works a lot faster.

I thought this because once I noticed file transfer was slower than using ftp, but unsure as to why it was slower. But it was certainly noticeable, and I thought it was more or less the same in terms of the end result. But nice though :P

Hello,

The difference is:

- With X on ssh, you have this:

[Client:<X server>---X11---<SSH>]---encryption---[server:<SSH>---X11---<X proxy>---X11---<X apps>]

- With xhost+DISPLAY, you have this:

[Client:<X server>]---X11---[server:<X apps>]

This is for the X11 part only. In both cases, you have a SSH connexion for "remote-controling" the applications.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

• 6 months later...
FreeNX is great. Combine it with the NoMachine NX client, which you can get for free here.

Here's a very nice article I just stumbled across about using FreeNX to remotely access Mandriva 2007. It gives complete install and configure instructions including diagrams and screen shots. Also shows how to connect from Windows and other Linux clients.

http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/254/26/

Edited by jboy