Tweaking Mandriva

ffi

There seem to be a lot of processes running, slowing down the system a bit, I foind this list:

http://builder.com.com/5100-6372_14-6018195.html

but it doesn´t seem accurate (ie acpi(d)) isn´t just for laptops is it? Also I can´t seem to disable some services like netfs and dkms.

Are there more tweak available too, to make thing run faster?

Edited by ffi

I don't think, your box will run much faster if you disable all of the services, but it will for sure boot much faster and it will be more secure as some services open network ports. The easiest way disable services is to use MCC. However you can also do it by simply renaming a link in /etc/rc5.d (if you boot to GUI) or /etc/rc3.d if you boot to the console. For instance as root,

mv S60cups s60cups

will disable cups. You can disable netfs this way. As for dkms, I think you shoulf keep it running (though I am not so sure).

Thanks. I did not have KAT installed. Are there other ways to speed things up or optimise things?

My install is getting quite big, I suspect this is due to the fact I install lot´s of software and then unistall but the depending packages are still there. I there a way to remove packages which don´t have depencies?

the large install will get whittled down with time. as you learn what you use and what you don't, you'll get better at not installing those things. heck, i do a basic install (making sure i get urpmi), use easyurpmi, and then get everything very frequently. i get exactly what i need.

unless you're hurting for space, i wouldn't worry about the size of your install. in my experience, i rarely use much more software than what i install when i install linux. but if that's still a concern, remove your software with mcc or urpm_ (i can't remember the letter that goes there...).

I´m getting a bit tight on space as I only have 10GB and 3 GB left allocated for Mandriva. I have lot´s of space on other drives but don´t know how to install there and these drives are fat and ntfs and contain a lot of data too...

You can remove a package using:

urpme packagename

to check what you've got installed, you can use urpmq:

urpmq --list

will show all on screen, or if you want pipe it to a text file, and then examine this and see which ones you think you don't need. Be careful though, due to dependencies, and if unsure, don't remove it.

The things is I think when I install a package and it has some depencies which it installs too, some of those depencies are left on the computer and these pile up and another things I think logs and crash dumps seriously clutter up space too...

Well there is an application called kleansweep which will get rid of unused files, but like any of these apps make sure you pack the deleted files safely and test your system b4 removing them.

;)

>to check what you've got installed, you can use urpmq:

>

urpmq --list

Whats the differance between urpmq --list and rpm -qa ?

Aren't rpms and urpmis the same thing? As I understand it, a urpmi package is just a rpm package with the ability to manage its own installation...or something like that.

urpmi is a program, not a type of package. more specifically, it's a package manager, allowing automatic dependency resolution, where as the rpm program doesn't automatically resolve dependencies - it just tries to install the program, and if there are missing dependencies, it errors out. urpmi tries to resolve these dependencies using a set of repositories either set by the system or added by the user. both make use of RPM packages - there is no "urpmi package", just rpm packages.

They both do the same job as far as I know. I guess a kind of personal preference. Using rpm -qa will mean you can use it across other rpm distros that use alternative package managers. If you're just using Mandrake/Mandriva then urpmq would suffice, but limits you to the command on Mandrake/Mandriva than using something that would work across other platforms.