How to hook up crossover cables?

maparus

When I connect my two computers with a KVM-switch Is it then possible to use crossover cables to connect two computers when one is Celeron with Windows XP the other Sempron 2800 with Mandriva 2006 I would need to copy files back and forth.

Many thanks maparus

yes it is possible. you would need to set up file sharing (smb/samba) or use ftp/sftp. you could just give each an IP address (static) and they should be able to see each other. you could also set one up to do internet sharing and run it that way.

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't and for those that might not know:

For the internet connection sharing to work you will need one of 2 things in 1 of the computers:

• A dial-up modem for a dial-up internet connection
  • 2 ethernet cards for a broadband connection

I guess you could also use a usb internet connection, but I have absolutely no clue how one of those even works.

I second tyme's post. Using a crossover cable means you can connect the two network cards without the requirement of a hub/switch.

:offtopic:

Thats a second time that i here about crossover cables but i just do not get what is the difference between them and normal ones. From my experience, it is impossible to connect 2 NICs by a cable that is used to connect to a switch (as you said). A friend of mine said that it is amatter of cable's pin layout, without further explanation, so why is that? Thanks.

:offtopic:

the basics:

a normal patch cable (what you use to connect directly to a hub/switch/router/etc) has the send and receive pins (there are two of each, IIRC) at the same position on both ends. in a crossover cable, the pins flip (hence the crossover). this is so that the wires that are send on the one end are now receive on the other, and the receives are now sends.

Crossover cables have two of the wires cross, I think wires 2 and 3. This enables you to connect switches together if they don't have a specific port for linking switches together, or a button to press to do it for you on that specific port.

Normal cables wouldn't work for direct connection, you would require a hub/switch. With crossover you don't, but it means you can only have a point-to-point connection between two machines and no more. Unless of course you had multiple network cards, but then you're better off with a hub/switch and single nics in a machine if you use more than two machines.