Need some help understanding fstab, /mnt, /media

ffi

Could someone explain to me what the difference between the /mnt and /media directory?

and what the 1's and 2's (and sometimes 0's) mean in the following line?

/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 1 1

/dev/hda3 /media/hda3 ext3 defaults 1 2

And why are in both my Mandriva install aswell as my Ubuntu install 9 Cd-rom's listed? I only have 1 DVD player and one CD-rewriter?

Edited by ffi

/media - This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks. The motivation for the creation of this directory has been that historically there have been a number of other different places used to mount removeable media such as /cdrom, /mnt or /mnt/cdrom. Placing the mount points for all removeable media directly in the root directory would potentially result in a large number of extra directories in /. Although the use of subdirectories in /mnt as a mount point has recently been common, it conflicts with a much older tradition of using /mnt directly as a temporary mount point.

/mnt - This is a generic mount point under which you mount your filesystems or devices (either static through corresponding fstab-entries or non-static). Mounting is the process by which you make a filesystem available to the system. After mounting your files will be accessible under the mount-point. This directory usually contains mount points or sub-directories where you mount your floppy and your CD. You can also create additional mount-points here if you want. There is no limitation to creating a mount-point anywhere on your system but convention says that you do not litter your file system with mount-points.

The 1, 0 and 2 are needed for dumping partitions with dump. More information for this: "man fstab" ;)

Edt:... ummm I guess dump does not tell you anything either... so. Dump is a tool/command used for backing up certaing folders/partitions in an ext2/3 system. The numbers 0-9 all represent different dump-levels/backup-rules.

Last question: A bug I'd say.

Thanks, for the info :). But to be honest, I rather ask than looking through man pages though because after reading a man page I know about as much about the command as before, only feeling more baffled :S

(check man chmod :mellow: )

Thanks, for the info :). But to be honest, I rather ask than looking through man pages though because after reading a man page I know about as much about the command as before, only feeling more baffled :S

(check man chmod :mellow: )

try this page, it gives a general explanation on various file system options in /etc/fstab