Open Office 2.0 Installation Problems? [solved]

Josh

Okay, so I installed OOo 2.0. . . farily simply, love the long list of RPMs. But now when I click on my sweet new icons, nothing happens? Any idea of why that would be?

SOLVED!!! THANK YOU!

[moved from Hardware - arctic]

Edited by Josh

I had this problem too, with certain builds from Mandriva. One of the problems seem to be the icons which point to an older version of openoffice and are not updated (the openoffice programs are namen ooprogramx.y where x and y are major and minor version numbers ). I manually changed the menu from menudrake.

(I'm not sure if this is relevant or helpful but it isn't intended to be destructive either B)...

When 2006 was originally released, there was a stable 1.1.5 as well as a Beta 2.0 included. Both could be installed together.

(I installed only the unstable Beta 2.0 (foolishly, because it couldn't output vector graphics in a PDF, right when I needed to do so --stick with the stable versions for important work!!))

Anyway.... when the stable release of 2.02 came out, I wasn't certain which version it would be linked to as an upgrade, (the old stable 1.1.5 or the old 2.0 beta).

So... before installing 2.02, I first un-installed the beta version and deleted any icons that pointed to it (one remained in my dock) (and if I had installed the old stable version, perhaps I would have un-installed it too). Then, after installing stable 2.02, I re-put a fresh icon into the dock.

And... I haven't found any problems with 2.02, including its desktop integration. (Even vector graphics in a PDF work properly.) I don't know if my clumsy routine was actually related to the good functioning, but everything now works as expected.)

Edited by Jon Bee

Here is my error. Looks like I have two issues!

/etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/javaldx:error while loading shared libraries:libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice.bin:error while loading shared libraries: libvc1680li.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I downloaded the JRE-less package. . . so maybe the first one is due to the fact that I am missing JRE libraries that I thought were loaded on my system? Not sure how to check that in Linux.

Any other thoughts?

Also check if you really uninstalled all old openoffice files. There is an openoffice lib file that won't automatically get uninstalled using MCCs default software selection. Uninstall Openoffice, run "slocate openoffice" and see if there is still something left in /usr/lib. Do a search for the library name and uninstall it, if it is still there.

I will run the java check.

As for the installation. . . not sure what the steps should be. My guess is they go like this?

1. Uninstall Office 2.0.2 - How do I do this?

2. Uninstall Office 1.x

3. Reinstall Office 2.0.2

Again, not very familiar with application installation in linux. This is only my second week here.

Open the MCC, software, remove software search for ´office´ and remove all openoffice pacakges.

To install, untar the openoffice tar, delete the desktop/distro integration packages you don´t want, add the folder as a local repo, in the MCC go to install software, open the repo, select every package and install. (for more info about installing software look in thewike, link at top of the page)

I solved it!

Here is what I did.

1. I went to the remove software GUI console in configuration and removed all instances of OpenOffice both versions.

2. I then installed J2RE since it wasn't installed

3. I then ran rpm Uvih *rpm in the directory where I had my RPMs

4. Finally I ran the destkop integration RPM for Mandriva

5. A quick log off and log on to load up the menus

6. Voila!!

Thanks to everyone for your help. Truly appreciated!! Now I can enjoy the sweet office interface.