Modem Help Please! Complete Noob!

Josh

FIRST POST!!! GLAD TO JOIN THE BOARD.

Okay, so I recently moved into a brand new subdivision and even though I have a fiber drop in my front yard and some brand new cable lines neither AT&T or Charter will turn up the services until 80% of the homes are built. We are no. 1 of 400. So needless to say, it will be a while before I go back to my wifi setup with broadband.

So before I decided to give linux a try I went out and bought a brand new Diamond Supramax PCI modem from Circuit City and popped the sucker in my PC. When I installed the LE version of Mandriva from Linux Format Magazine it failed to load the drivers for my modem. I figured it was a winmodem and that I needed some linux based fixed. I headed over to linmodems and found all the documentation. There was an error message that said that Club Mandriva versions have SLMODEM drivers included and since I have ordered a version from there, I though I would wait until I get those disks, but I am not sure if that's wishful thinking.

The point is, if I have to install these drivers, I am not sure how that works, and I have already tried once and ran into several errors.

So my two questions are:

1. Does the club mandriva version have software to properly load winmodems included on the disk?

2. If not, what are the best steps in order to properly load . . . what will I need (i.e. additional packages like make and gcc).

Thanks!

Please give the exact model number of the modem and we will tell you exactly how to get it working. The Club may indeed have an rpm, or a package, that can be installed and the modem then works. But, everything is available on the net.

I have Powerpack, which has slmodem a part of it, which was detected and installed at the time I did the first install. Chances are it'll do the same on yours, and then you can check/test to see if it works with your modem.

I never checked/tested the modem to see if it would work though, but it was there. Maybe I'll check/test it sometime when I need to use it. Unfortunately, I use broadband all the time now, so I'll prob never use my modem in Linux.

If not, then you do have the alternative drivers, and you can follow their install instructions to get it working. Normally when I install, I select "Development Tools" from the list of options, then I don't have to worry about what I need next when the system is up and running, and something needs compiling/installing.