Can't get anywhere!

cherryelky305

Im trying to install mandrake 10.1. The install seems to go smoothly, it askes me to remove boot media, i do, and then it reboots. Boot loader comes up...i choose linux, then it starts to load the OS. It does a series of checks and then stops and freezes on "checking root file system" I cannot figure it out and no one online seems to have this problem as this is the second forum ive tried in the past three weeks. My computer is running XP perfectly. I switch out harddrives to install and try to boot linux, so i am not dual booting. Linux is on its own drive and is the only drive in the computer when i use linux. sorry if its confusing. any help would be great. here are my system spec's just in case.

amd athlon xp 2600@2.22 Ghz

1.25 GB ddr ram

20 Gig HD

Asus a7n266-c mainboard

Ati x1300 agp card

500 watt PSU

7 fans

Dont think it matters but i was an alienware pc, until i upgraded jus about everything except the mainboard. Please help anyone. Thank you for taking the time to read my chicken scratch.

Where did you get your media? Personally, I would try a newer release of Mandriva, like 2006. If you would like to try to check this installation out, you still need a "live" cd of some kind, like Knoppix or Mepis. You can boot wioth an active linux os and then check out the file structure of the install. Failing at checking root directory is almost as bad as a kernel panic. The fact that you installed it rules out the normal sata issues. dma and apci could still be causing problems, but again, the successful install suggests otherwise. My best guess is a bad burn or corrupt download.

Where did you get your media? Personally, I would try a newer release of Mandriva, like 2006.

I got my version from my roommate. Im in college. i dont know where he got his but yes mine is a copy of a copy. Is mandriva 2006 free? if it is where can i download it or get it? Thanks again for the help. I have tried to boot using the noapic, nolapic, nodma, nolapic noapic modes..to no resolution, so that must not be whats causing it. Any other suggestions? thanks again.

Welcome aboard :)

IMHO there are several reasons why it might fail. It can be related to the graphic cards that you have. ATI is not the "best solution" when running Linux (some work well, others are extremely painful) and it is very possible that the gfx-card ain't supported by X and the kernel in Mandy 10.1. It can also be related to another hardware device. Hard to tell, really. If your Bios has such an option, disable plug'n'play, unplug all unnecessary external hardware devices for now (especially usb devices), try to boot with

linux noapic nolapic

Maybe that will get the machine running. It is also very well possible that your Media is corrupt, either a bad burn or a bad download, as Ix pointed out. If you have broadband and can afford to download 3 CDs again, go straight for 2006, which support more hardware than 10.1.

If you have a live-CD like Knoppix, it would be helpful. You could mount the partition and take a look at the system messages from it and you can check the partion layout and the filesystem from there.

PS: Yes, Mandriva 2006 is free.

PPS: Oh, just read your post, so forget bout the noapic nolapic part. :)

Not much help, but a start. :)

PPPS: Here are Mirrors for download

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/downloads/mirrors/2006

ATI is not the "best solution" when running Linux (some work well, others are extremely painful) and it is very possible that the gfx-card ain't supported by X and the kernel in Mandy 10.1.

I have my old nvidia gforce 4 ti 4600. I guess i could put that card back in if i had to, but i dont know if i could play my games on it or not.. I dont really want to have to switch the harddrive's and the video cards just to use linux...lol...there must be a easier way ya know? im trying to find the iso's for mandriva 2006 now. but so far havent found them. If i ever figure it out ill post back. Thanks.

Ps.

Keep the suggestions coming every opinion counts!

Found the iso's. It says 27 hours for the dvd iso to download though! lol awell...cant have the cake and eat it too huh. thanks for everyones help.

If its any easier my aim screenname is bsucamino feel free to send me suggestions if you want to, im open to as much info as i can get at this point.

Whoever copied it needs to burn it at a slower speed or perhaps use better media. Download the Mandriva One disk and install that.

Nvidia makes the best drivers for linux 3-D. ATI may catch up evenually, but they did not originally think linux was a market for them, and their lack of vision has failed them. Many linux users stick with Nvidia because they produced drivers for linux when no one thought it would be popular.

I do not think that the installation is a hardware problem. I think it is the media. Have your friend re-burn it.

I keep hearing this..

I must be getting old..

X86 means Intel type processor with an 86 in the name like 386 - 486 -586

AMD will normally work perfectly well as they are like clones of the x86 series.

In the case with the 64 newer computers today have 64bits instead of 32bits to compute with this makes them faster in calculating big numbers..

If the number is bigger than 32 bits it would have to do more things..

most 64 bit computers will work partially with 32bit Operating Systems but you will not get the performance advantage.

So it is wise to upgrade to 64bit as soon as possible to get the most out of your processor..

There are other types of processors out there and more letters and numbers..

A i386.rpm will most likely work on a computer of 586.. type if the OS is ok.. but a 586 program may not work on a 386 as since their are extras added to the processor.

A program built for a 64bit computer will not work on a 32 bit computer without changes.

The 286 was 16bit.. (that is why they say i386.rpm 32bit..)

So i386 should be ok for any computer 386 - 486 - 586

x86-64 will not work correctly on an older computer using 32bit tech..

So i386 should be ok for any computer 386 - 486 - 586

thank you for the clairification, but i am getting the i586 version and i was wondering it it will work with my amd athlon. sorry for posting a common question, i just dont want to spend 25 hours getting a i586 version only to discover that it will not work with my hardware. Thank you again for helping the noob's out.

Just on the video card side, I use an Nvidia Geforce TI 4400, has 128MB and works a treat on my machine. Much better than the other system I have with an ATI Radeon 9250, although that's just probably not a great ATI card, just average or below average.

I would have thought your TI 4600 would be far superior to my TI4400. When you install Mandriva 2006, make sure you apply all updates to the system, just to iron out any bugs since the release.

I would have thought your TI 4600 would be far superior to my TI4400.

The 4600 is the exact same board as the 4400 the only difference is the clock speeds, i just dont know if i can play HL2 and Medal of honor pacific assult on it or not. my ati card has 256 memory but other than that i dont think the clock speeds between the nvidia and ati are that different even though the ati is fairly new it is just a budget card after all. I will get a new system sometime lol. maybe in 3 or 4 years ill go all out and get the high end stuff and then i wont have to worry about upgradeing for a while.