Uninstalling programs

ffi

No, urpmi will only store information on rpm packages installed. If you use rpmbuild to make an rpm out of the source, then you would have installed the rpm that was built, and therefore this would be in your urpmi database.

However, this requires making build files sometimes, and all sorts of other stuff, if you want it to work with urpmi.

In a nutshell, install the rpm first, with urpmi if it's in the repositories, then:

./configure
make
checkinstall

the rest will be done for you after this. checkinstall will then run it's own "make install" and then install the app as if it was an rpm, and you'll have it in your repository. Neat :P

It doesn´t seem to work, I get the following error:

[root@localhost kaffeine]# checkinstall

checkinstall 1.6.0, Copyright 2002 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
	   This software is released under the GNU GPL.

The checkinstallrc file was not found at:
/usr/local/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc

Assuming default values.

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist.
Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: y

Preparing package documentation...OK

Please choose the packaging method you want to use.
Slackware [S], RPM [R] or Debian [D]? r

Please write a description for the package.
End your description with an empty line or EOF.
>> Kaffeine-0.8.1-XXXXXXXX
>>

**** RPM package creation selected ***

This package will be built according to these values:

1 -  Summary: [ Kaffeine-0.8.1-XXXXXXXX ]
2 -  Name:	[ kaffeine ]
3 -  Version: [ 20060405 ]
4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ Applications/System ]
7 -  Architecture: [ i386 ]
8 -  Source location: [ kaffeine ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
10 - Requires: [  ]
11 - Provides: [ kaffeine ]

Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue:

Installing with make install...

========================= Installation results ===========================
Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src'
Making install in player-parts
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src/player-parts'
Making install in .
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src/player-parts'
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src/player-parts'
test -z "/usr/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/lib"
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p  'libkmediapart.la' '/usr/lib/libkmediapart.la'
/usr/bin/install: preserving times for `/usr/lib/libkmediapart.la': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/install: cannot set time stamps for `/usr/lib/libkmediapart.la': No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src/player-parts'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src/player-parts'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src/player-parts'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/XXXXXXXX/kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

What did you do before the "checkinstall" command? Did you do:

./configure
make

if not, then you need to do this. You substitute make install with checkinstall, which does the remaining stuff for you.

Hmm, that's odd. I'll have to check the kaffeine install guide, and check how it's meant to work. Have you already tried a "make install" in this directory? If so, you should make a clean install before you try again. Delete the directory, and then extract again from the file you downloaded.

EDIT:

I'm just trying it myself now to see what happens.

EDIT2:

I've just done:

./configure
make

and if I type kaffeine from in this directory, it runs 0.7.1, and not 0.8.1 which is what I'm compiling. I think you either have it installed already, or you need to delete your kaffeine directory you are trying to compile in, and extract the source again, and redo it. After the make, you then run checkinstall, and do not run make install, since checkinstall does this.

and if I type kaffeine from in this directory, it runs 0.7.1, and not 0.8.1 which is what I'm compiling. I think you either have it installed already, or you need to delete your kaffeine directory you are trying to compile in, and extract the source again, and redo it. After the make, you then run checkinstall, and do not run make install, since checkinstall does this.

I clicked on the shell script file kaffeine in kaffeine-0.8.1/kaffeine/src and then it would start 0.8.1 but I had to quit 0.7.1 first else it would just bring up 0.7.1. If I try to run kaffeine through the desktop or via the kaffeine starter plugin it just starts 0.7.1, so I don´t have 0.8.1 installed....

Edited by ffi