Mandrake and 9.1

Guest anon

Hi MDK users,

Many of you will know that MDK is in a serious financial position at the moment, in five months time the company and the mdk Distro may cease to exist in its present form, (if at all ) . It survival depends on two things, the first being the new CEO being given enough power and leeway, to give the existing management the kick up the ass it so much deserves.

(I could go on)

The second, and and maybe the most crucial, is the release of 9.1 final, and this is where you, as users come in. Every time a beta or RC is released, thousands of people all over the world overload the mirror sites, eager to get a taste of whats coming. MDK does not have hundreds of employees testing the beta's or RC's, so they ask you, the end user, to test it for them and report back bugs etc, sadly, most people trying out beta's don't bother, they rely on others to report for them, and then when they find faults in the final release, moan and complain that this or that doesn't work properly, so, please help to ensure MDK future, and your favourite Distro, by testing out the RC's and reporting the faults/bugs to https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/ This will help to make 9.1 final their best ever release, and hopefully, ensure its survival. Don't think about doing it, DO IT.

Its available from our own ftp site, ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub

or any of these mirror sites:

Australia

http://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/mandrake-iso/i586 (Brisbane)

Austria

ftp://ftp.tugraz.at/mirror/Mandrake-linux...ndrake-iso/i586 (Graz)

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Vienna)

Czech Republic

ftp://ftp.cesnet.cz/OS/Linux/Mandrake/man...ndrake-iso/i586 (Brno)

ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-iso/i586

ftp://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/OS/Linux/Dist/M...ndrake-iso/i586 (Prague)

Estonia

ftp://ftp.aso.ee/pub/os/Linux/distributio...ndrake-iso/i586

France

ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Lyon)

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions...ndrake-iso/i586 (Paris)

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...ndrake-iso/i586 (Paris)

ftp://ftp.univ-savoie.fr/pub/Linux/Mandra...ndrake-iso/i586 (Chambery)

ftp://ftp.uvsq.fr/pub/mandrake/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Versailles)

# ftp://linux.ups-tlse.fr/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Toulouse)

Germany

ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirro...ndrake-iso/i586 (Esslingen)

ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/...ndrake-iso/i586 (Muenster)

ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/...ndrake-iso/i586 (Munchen)

ftp://ftp.vat.tu-dresden.de/pub/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Dresden)

Greece

ftp://ftp.physics.auth.gr/pub/mirrors/man...ndrake-iso/i586 (Thessaloniki)

Hong Kong

ftp://ftp.bylinux.net/pub/mirror/mandrake...ndrake-iso/i586

Netherlands

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ndrake-iso/i586

ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/linux/mandrake-iso/i586

ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/M...ndrake-iso/i586

Russia

ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/mandrake-iso/i586 (Chernogolovka)

Spain

ftp://ftp.cesga.es/pub/linux/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Galicia)

# ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributi...ndrake-iso/i586

Sweden

ftp://ftp.chello.se/pub/Linux/Mandrake-iso/i586

# ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/os/mandrake-iso/i586 (Dalarma)

United Kingdom

ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite.uio....ndrake-iso/i586 (Canterbury)

United States

ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/mandrake-iso/i586 (Oregon)

ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/mandrake-iso/i586 (Texas)

ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.man...ndrake-iso/i586

ftp://helios.dii.utk.edu/pub/linux/Mandra...ndrake-iso/i586 (Tennessee)

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/Mandrake-iso/i586 (Illinois)

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra...ndrake-iso/i586

ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake-iso/i586 (Virgina)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one more mirror you can get it from:

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr...drake-iso/i586/

i use that one since it's on my school network (Penn State Univ.) and doesn't count towards my "bandwidth usage" (which is actually a limit on how much we can download, not an actual limit on our bandwidth).

Guest CloakedPenguin
Hi MDK users, 

Many of you will know that MDK is in a serious financial position at the moment, in five months time the company and the mdk Distro may cease to exist in its present form, (if at all ) . It survival depends on two things, the first being the new CEO being given enough power and leeway, to give the existing management the kick up the ass it so much deserves. 

(I could go on) 

The second, and and maybe the most crucial, is the release of 9.1 final, and this is where you, as users come in. Every time a beta or RC is released, thousands of people all over the world overload the mirror sites, eager to get a taste of whats coming. MDK does not have hundreds of employees testing the beta's or RC's, so they ask you, the end user, to test it for them and report back bugs etc, sadly, most people trying out beta's don't bother, they rely on others to report for them, and then when they find faults in the final release, moan and complain that this or that doesn't work properly, so, please help to ensure MDK future, and your favourite Distro, by testing out the RC's and reporting the faults/bugs to https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/ This will help to make 9.1 final their best ever release, and hopefully, ensure its survival.

For the financial point I think that more people should become Mandrake Club members like I have. (Silver) Yes I understand the software is free but really in all seriousnous, if we don't help out MDK and ensure their survival, it's like letting M$ win!

As for the second point. I'm not really good with Linux still and if I download a beta version and it does something funky, I'm not too sure if I did it, or if it's a bug. :?

I plan on continuing to support MDK by buying their 9.1 when it releases. I just hope that they are still around in the future so I can buy their MDK 10.0 and so on and so forth. (I've tried a lot of the distro's out there and this one is the best out of all of them)

In the previous thread about the particulars of RC-1 release, I was looking for the hand of the new CEO and I think I saw his influence. Given that they appear to be heading for an April/May release (mid 2q 03) this should give time for a thorough debugging.

I cannot afford the club on a fixed income and only today did I finally see a 9.0 Powerpack in my local Staples store, the only Linux product on the shelves. If I go any way with the new version it will be the retail channel which is the ultimate breakpoint for the success or failure of Mandrake Linux in its present incarnation.

Counterspy

Anon, just out of curiousity, what prompt you to start this thread? Did you see an article somewhere?

I own some shares in mdk, " insider info".

So if I end up losing money because you didn't bother to test and report the bugs, I will come looking for you, and I know where you live :lol:

Guest CloakedPenguin

Downloaded and installed 9.1 RC1, it's sweeeeet. A few bugs that I have reported (god I hope they are bugs and not operator errors!)

It is a much easier install and everything is fresh and lovely.

:shock: :shock: Did I just say fresh and lovely? Damnit I have to quit letting my cat watch Martha Stewart Living. GRRRRRRRRRRR!