Mandrake and 9.1

Guest anon

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 9.1rc1 running.

I had to do the Nvidia bit that I saw in another thread in order to get the driver to compile. That went ok.

I had to install the texstar kdemoreartwork rpm in order to get my screen savers back. That went ok.

Unfortunately, Xft, by texstar, made some weird errors pop up, like no MCC or gui file programs, so I had to uninstall it, which brought everything back to normal. I needed it for a program called Bibletime. Since this was new and improved, I downloaded the Bibletime source and attempted to build my own rpm. After installing the fam0-devel package, it worked fine.

Mozilla 1.3b is better than 1.2Xft (faster) and kde is also faster than my previous 3.1 installation.

There is some poor sound quality problems, crackling and such.

Otherwise, it is not bad enough to remove and reinstall my previous system. I like it.

Guest CloakedPenguin

Hmmmm, I seem to be having very minimal problems compared to everyone else. The only real problem I have with 9.1 is the RPMDRAKE keeps locking up.

Sound is peachy, Nvidia compiled for me, and as for any other bugs, I really haven't found any... yet.

:)

There is some poor sound quality problems, crackling and such.

If you are using a Creative 5.1 live! (driver emu10k1) then here is the fix for that:

By default the Audigy driver is loaded. This is not the right driver to load for that kind of card. Open 'harddrake' and select your soundcard. At the bottom right there is a button. Clic it. You can choose which driver to load. Select emu10k1 and save the change. You can either rmmod all the snd_* drivers and modprobe emu10k1 or reboot. That did the trick for me. Sound is perfect now.. sounds good ! :P

MOttS

Guest CloakedPenguin

Okay stupid question, how did I end up with 4 cd's? :( Is the MNF cd not part of the package?

And what the heck is MNF anyways? :?

I don't think it stands for Monday Night Football since that is a totally American thing. :roll:

Could it possibly stand for Many Nifty Features? :?

It can't possibly mean Many nudist flatulating :shock:

Okay I better go before I'm arrested by Cannon. :oops:

Okay stupid question, how did I end up with 4 cd's? :( Is the MNF cd not part of the package?

And what the heck is MNF anyways? :? 

:lol: :lol: .. laughing with you here ..

MNF ==> Mandrake Network Firewall

You don't need that man. You only have to dl 3 cds (the 2 first will just work fine). MNF is a distro by itself. Unlike 8.2 or 9.0, MNF is version of Mandrake oriented to network administrator.

Hope this make things clear..

MOttS :wink:

Guest CloakedPenguin

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :o

Now that explains it! So that CD is for use on my server then!

Damn and here I was hoping it stood for Multiple Nude Females. :twisted::twisted:

Okay I'm outta here before Cannon uses his night stick on me! :twisted:

ral...

... despite all his Mandrake/RedHat/Linux ranting promises to purchase a 9.1 Powerpack... actually there is an 9.0 available... maybe I should just pick that one up and download 9.1 (on the theory that if I buy 9.0, the local reseller will place an order for 9.1).

From what I have read so far... the guys at Mandrake did a good job.

The 18 month EOL is reasonable (that means that you can always be one version behind and still get a years support)...

Joining the club... somehow I don't like that idea... but who knows.

Maybe MandrakeSoft could charge for support past the first 18 months... now that would be worth it I think.