Other .rpm packages [SOLVED]

Murda

Hi.

I were thinking that I'd like to update some apps (like irssi) on my computer, but found out that Mandriva's newest package is outdated (irssi v.0.8.9) and the irssi download section says that 0.8.10a is the newest. There are RedHat/Fedora packages and SuSE packages, but not Mandriva.

Are they completely safe or not? Of course a mdk package is safe on a Mandriva system, but as SuSE and Mandriva are based on RedHat, I thought that they might work as well. This isn't the only app that I want to update, but they do have the same options.

So, which one should I choose:

1. RedHat/Fedora.

2. SuSE.

3. Wait for Mandriva to update.

And yes, I have read the changelog, so I don't need anyone to say that "there's nothing big that urgently needs updating". :P

EDIT: [sOLVED]

Edited by Murda

Just like devries I do not really recommend using other distros rpms, BUT remember that you can check with urpmi if the installation or a rpm package might work. If you are lucky, the system will happily accept the package (if ther are no flag- and dependency-probs). If it doesn't work, you can still compile from source. :)

Just like devries I do not really recommend using other distros rpms, BUT remember that you can check with urpmi if the installation or a rpm package might work. If you are lucky, the system will happily accept the package (if ther are no flag- and dependency-probs). If it doesn't work, you can still compile from source. :)

But I don't like to compile from source because then urpmi doesn't know about that application and if I want to delete it for some reason, urpme doesn't work for it. I'm just too lazy to start using some odd uninstall scripts. :P

I'd have to build my own .rpm for that, but I don't have the knowledge to do that.

There's most likely a reason why it's been compiled for Red Hat/Fedora. Whilst it might work, if it fails and screws your system and you can't remove it, what then?

I wouldn't recommend doing it. You could try using rpmbuild to make your own Mandriva rpm from the source, but it's a lot of work sometimes creating build files, etc, etc, attempting to get it to work.

I wouldn't recommend doing it. You could try using rpmbuild to make your own Mandriva rpm from the source, but it's a lot of work sometimes creating build files, etc, etc, attempting to get it to work.

Ok, maybe I'll give it a try when I have time. :)