new DVD burner

Kieth

I had a dvd reader and a cd burner. I replaced the dvd reader with a dvd burner. I did not change anything. I even kept the same jumper setting. All I did was slide out the dvd reader and slide the dvd burner in, attaching it to the same cables. The system recognizes it, but it will not mount. One oddity I found out, though. I open k3b, it works for about 5 minutes while scanning for the burners. After k3b finally opens up, I can play dvds. When I re-boot the system, I have to re-do the process before it will mount dvds. Before and after I open k3b, fstab and mtab do not change. In fstab, the dvd burner is cdrom and the cd burner is cdrom2.

fstab is:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb8 /linuxandwindows vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,ro 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb6 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

mtab is:

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 rw 0 0

none /proc proc rw 0 0

none /sys sysfs rw 0 0

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,devmode=0664,devgid=43 0 0

/dev/hda5 /home ext3 rw 0 0

/dev/hdb8 /linuxandwindows vfat rw,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,-- 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1 0 0

/dev/hdb7 /usr ext3 rw 0 0

/dev/hdb6 /var ext3 rw 0 0

none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

With MCC, I tried changing how it was mounted. Even with supermount, it will not work. It is presently mounted with noauto. I haven't tried to burn a dvd yet (I have to go buy one first!!).

Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

Kieth

Do you have harddrake enabled on your system? If not, it might be worthwhile enabling this and see if it will detect it correctly. It could still think it's configured for your old drive.

I'm pretty sure the DVD writer entry in fstab is different compared to that of a normal dvd reader. I can't remember what the option is that's different though.

A question, though. Is my dvd burner considered a removable device? I have it in my computer case, like my floppy.

Another question. If I phisically change the position of my burners, putting one in the position of the other, changing also the jumper settings, do you think that would help?

Yes, I'm running Mandrivia 2006 download edition. I've also updated all the files, even though there was a problem there. I don't know if it matters, but in MCC, it shows that I need to update xorg-x11-server-6.9.0-5.3.20060mdk.i586. Everytime I do it, it stills says I need to update it. For some reason, even thought it installed itself, it isn't recognize as being installed. Could this be the problem? I've also tried to install it through console with the command: # urpmi --auto-select.

I have two burners, one for cds and one for dvds. The problem is, is that the dvd burner will not mount or show any movies unless I first run k3b. After that, it is "seen", and then I can watch movies. I think it is registered incorrectly in fstab, but I'm not sure. And if it is that, I do not know what should be written.

Well, I took out 'sync', but to no avail. It still will not mount a dvd. Thanks for the idea, anyway. I'll give any other ideas a try!! :jester:

Would someone with a dvd burner post their /etc/fstab file, so I could see it?

Thanks.

Kieth

This is my fstab.

cdrom2 is the burner.

/dev/hdc1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdc7 /allmine ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc8 /allmusic ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc9 /allpictures ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda6 /exchange vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdc6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc10 /zstore ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Cheers. John.