new DVD burner

Kieth

There's no reason to post mine, because it does not have ANY CD-ROM entries... and it just works (it's not Mandriva, as you may already have noticed).

But I'm using (slightly modded) kernel 2.6.16, plus current udev/dbus/hal/pmount, without using any other automounting mechanism.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks for the posts. AussieJohn, I just copied and pasted your cdrom2 entry into my fstab file. No luck. I asked earlier if changing the drives on the IDE cable would work, and scarecrow didn't think it would. Well, I thought that since nothing else is working, I might as well try. After all, it can't hurt. Well, scarecrow and I were both right, it didn't help and it didn't hurt! Since I had my computer case open, I decided to disconnect my cd burner and just have the dvd burner as master and see what would happen. Well, nothing happened. It still wouldn't mount. Just another question, then I'll just wait for the new Mandrivia to come out to see if it will resolve the problem. Could the problem be because I bought a LG dvd burner?

Thanks again for the help. Even if it wasn't resolved I really appreciate the input.

Kieth

I have an LG DVD burner, and mine is OK. I meant to check my machine this weekend, but I didn't get chance, I'll definitely do it tonight, and see if my fstab entry helps any to get it working for you.

I wish I could help, but unfortunately there's no way to check if I'm talking BS or not... the oldest kernel I'm using in all my systems is 2.6.15, and since 2.6.14 or so udev (with a little help from its friends dbus/hal/pmount) is supposed to manage everything, automounting included, and obsoleting all other utils.

Mandriva is still using 2.6.12 and old fashioned initscripts... I could suggest switching to "Cooker", which uses 2.6.14, but I will not, as Cooker IS buggy/not for everyone.

Thanks for the help. I'll just wait for the new Mandrivia to come out. I don't want to go to Cooker, as I'm not too good at "this computer stuff". As long as I run k3b first, everything works. My computer has enough memory and speed to handle it (1 gigabite ram, AMD 3000). It will be a annoying, but I can live with it temporarily. I've been using Mandrake/Mandrivia for so long that I feel "lost" in Windows.

Thanks,

Kieth

I had similar problems with a new DVD/CDRom burner. After many hours playing with the settings & still not getting anywhere I decided to remove the DVD. Once removed I booted up Mandy 2006 & logged in then checked fstab & of course the entries for my DVD where removed. I then shut down placed the new DVD inside the case & booted once more .. & yep all is working fine now.. strange but true!! ;)

HTH

Thanks, I'll give it a try in a day or 2. I have to pull out a heavy desk, crawl behind in and carefully get to where I can open the computer. It's a major undertaking, so I don't do it every day! I will definately try it, though. Thanks.

Kieth,

Sorry for the delay, finally got on my system :P

Here's the entries from my fsta:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

the bottom one (hdd) is the dvd writer. The top is the DVD-reader, so not sure how this compares to you. Jareez's suggestion sounds about the best one to get it to remove what was there before, and then redect the new hardware on installation again. Just in case mine is no different to your current one.

Well, I finally got around to moving my heavy desk and getting to my computer. I did as jaraeez said, unplugging my burners, turning on and off the computer, re-pluggnig the burners, and turning it back on. No luck. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for the help.

Kieth