xsane [solved]

mystified

I just purchased a Canon LIDE 30 because it's supported in Mandriva. It recognized it right away and shows that it's configured correctly. It also installed sane.

Now the problem is that I've been trying to figure out how to run it. I found a site where someone was using the same scanner and they said they launched xsane from a terminal as root to run the scanner. I have no experience with a scanner in Linux.

The problem is that I tried installing xsane and it told me to insert CD1. But typical of Mandriva it couldn't read CD1. So I set up easy-urpmi and it told me there was no package named xsane. I tried googling and couldn't find one. I'm sure there's a simple solution.

Suggestions?

"urpmi xsane xsane-gimp" should be fine- I just checked and both are present at the /main Mandriva repo ( I checked the ntua.gr mirror )... you likely have configured a broken/outdated one.

At first time, run under a root console

sane-find-scanner

If you get a hit of your hardware, then add yourself to the newly created "scanner" group (it's created by the sane/xsane RPM's when installed), logout and then back in and you are ready to run xsane as normal user (no need to run it under console, of course).

Hello Mysti.

I have been using xsane for years and never had troubles in any version of Mandriva if the scanner was compatable.

You need sane-backends as well as libsane and xsane and xsane-gimp.

You should not and do not need to run xsane as root. When you open xsane as root it gives you a message discouraging it. Nor do any such things as adding to groups or whatever .

When Xsane is installed, it is found in Menu-----> Multimedia------------->Graphics so there is no need what so ever to open it with a console.

It is easy enough to put its icon on the desktop or on the panel.

I am surprised that easy-urpmi said there was no xsane. That is weird.

Hope this helps you. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

i know this is a dumb suggestion, as i'm SURE you've already done this, and no one would need to mention it to you, but...maybe try setting up sources with easy-urpmi if you're having trouble finding xsane... :P

You're right. That was a dumb suggestion. :P

Anyway, I got it working using Kooka. Thanks for the help everyone!