Blank screen after Login

Guest Swift

Guest Swift

Dear all jut test drive installing Mandrake dual boot on my system.

All system go except fro mandrake, after i login root/user. I only can see the clock on my screen

no other thing. on left mouse click there is a menu. What's wrong?

Also how do i shut down the system?

Perhaps you´re using a very basic wndow manager? Hit ctr-alt-F2 login as root and type: killall X

Logout as root, login as normal user and type: startx startkde

If that doesn´t work it´s a X problem. Hit ctrl-alt-F2, login as root and type: mcc. Configure your videocard again. Use the vesa driver.

Welcome aboard. :)

Umm... well, it seems that your graphics isn't properly set up. Some questions arise: Which Mandrake/Mandriva version are you running and which hardware do you have (graphic card)?

Press ctrl+alt+del for rebooting and boot into failsafe mode. At the first prompt, type

init 3

at the second prompt, log in as root and type

XFdrake

and set up a new graphical environment (e.g. vesa).

Once you have correcte your graphical environment, type

init 6

for rebooting.

Huh? :huh: Please type as root

updatedb

slocate XFdrake

Is it listed somewhere? If not, the package probably did not get installed properly, which would be very strange.

actually, mcc is the Mandriva Control Center, XFdrake is a part of MCC used for configuring graphics ;) - but the problem is more likely what scarecrow has said, you're logging into fvwm. In the right click menu, do you see an option for "configure my computer" or "mandriva control center", or even "terminal"/"console"?

if you see one of the first two, start it, go into system, and select a different default desktop environment. i don't remember exactly what the option is. if you can get a terminal, then type in "mcc", press enter, anddo has described in the last sentence.

If Mandriva defaults to fvwm (which it will) and not kde (which it should) then kde is not properly installed. X is ok, which is why fvwm pops up. I have done this before. B) Reinstall kde.