Mandriva One Live CD

Guest DrLecter

Guest DrLecter

I'm trying to wean myself away from Windows, but I'm not having any luck. First, I tried Knoppix; couldn't get it to boot. Switched to Mandriva- same thing. Now, I KNOW it has something to do with how I'm burning the cds, but I have no idea what. Every discussion about this never mentions the process of burning, I assume because it's so easy. BUT.... I'm downloading the ISO, burning it as an image to cd, and when I boot the pc, it doesn't boot from the cd, though it's set to. So, the cd is wrong. Right? I don't know. I never copy cds, ever. I just burn files for backup, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Nero Express 6. I've burned 11 discs so far (yes, 11!) trying different settings & techniques, and I'm running out of methods. Right now, I can't afford to buy the cd, or even join the club. This has gone from 'fun' to 'frustrating'. Is there an easy fix for a newbie like me?

:wall:

Ummm.. a whopping 11 CDs... not bad. First of all, welcome aboard. :)

I don't use Nero (actually never used it), so I don't know the dialogue it has but with every iso, you have to burn the image not only on a CD, but you have to burn the CD FROM the iso image. There should be a dialogue somewhere for burning iso/images to disk. Usually this is pretty hidden from "joe average". If you don't do it that way, you won't have a bootable CD. And in your BIOS, you really need to make sure that the CD or DVD drive (whatever you have) is set as primary boot-device.

I guess someone with Nero experience will pop in soon and add more tips.

have you tried here:

knoppix download faq

includes the question: "How do I burn an ISO to a CD using NERO?"

If you look at your freshly burnt CD in your file manager, do you see a directory tree with lots of different files in, or a single, very large, iso file?

My CD drive isn't the primary boot device, but I can press a key at startup to give me a list of possible devices, and from there I can choose whether to boot from CD or hard drive.

Hello Neddie. That was an excellent find. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Even though I knew most of it, there was still some stuff to learn.

The page should be directly posted in reply to anyone asking questions in relation to problems booting from cdroms.

It would save a heck of a lot of time for everyone because it is so simply and clearly written. In fact the article is almost non technical in its manner of presentation and would not frighten any newcomer, man or woman. lad or girl. I congratulate the writer or writers on a job beautifully and superbly done. Bravo Bravo Bravo. The perfect example of how other help articles SHOULD be written.

Cheers. John.

hi...

The way to burn iso images using nero 6 is as follows:

1- Open your "smart nero"

2- Choose "Copy and Backup" from the vertical top menu

3- Now under it, you will get many options. So now choose the option "Burn Image to Disc".

==> ONce you click on this option, a small window will pop up (just like the window when you click 'Browse"; by default i think it will be pointed in "My Documents"). From that window, just find your ISO images in it's residing folder, select it and click "Open".

4- Then you just have to click on "Next" on your nero menu to burn the ISO. Then are you done!

5- Now re-boot with CD(assuming your boot option in BIOS is set to boot your CD first). This should work!!

Side Note:

1) You will be asked for a password when using the LiveCD. The password is either "root" or "guest".

2) I have used the liveCD of Mandriva, ubuntu and kanotix with pentium 2,3 and 4. These LiveCd only worked best with pentium 3 & 4. (at least from what i have seen personally)

~~~ All the best! ~~~

Regards!

Edited by wakish

One addition to the above, Nero defaults to search its own file name, so drop down the box and choose ".iso" as the image file to look for. Otherwise, it just won't show up. I think that is a windows thing.