Need help understanding Mesa and Mandriva

krisbee2000

I have been having problems getting my 3d acceleration to work in Xorg 6.9 and Mandriva LE 2006.

I am running a voodoo banshee card, and I think I know where the problem might lie.

I can get it up and running with glxgears... glxinfo shows me direct rendering:yes.

However, any other programs just won't work with it... I always get Seg Faults.

Now, somewhere in the MESA readme.3dfx file says that you have to compile with MESA being aware of glide

My knowledge, correct me if I am wrong: 3dfx cards use glide directly, which opengl will then talk to glide to get 3d acceleration working. So, MESA must be made aware that it has to talk to glide to get things up and running.

Now, the question. When MESA is compiled for Mandriva, is this done? Is this a standard option, or is this why I keep having all of my accelerated games fail. When it is compiled, is this switch turned on (or all of them)?

If I run glquake with indirect rendering (MESA Indirect), it works, but slow. If I have direct rendering, I have a crash (error 11 with glquake, SDL Segementation Fault with everything else).

Same is true of crack-attack and chromium.

Everyone's advice is the card is too old, but, that's why it should work... development hasn't gone further... its' worked in the past... it should work now.

I want to figure out where this is failing. I have in posts before had people look at my xorg.conf, and determine everything is okay. I have the tdfx driver loading in X, so that is okay.

Any help would be appreciated! I think this is where the final error lies; MESA isn't configured to use glide, therefore my hardware, correctly.

--Kris

Not sure if it is compiled. Did you have a:

Load glx

line in your xorg.conf? Some cards require this instead of dri, at least with nvidia, not sure on 3DFX. I have a Voodoo card, but haven't used it for 6 years now, and never with Linux.

When you remove the Load Dri and Section dri lines, does it work? My nvidia doesn't like it when load dri lines are present. I know not the same example/card, but all I can think of.

It could be too old for the distribution your using now, compared to what distro was available at or just after the time your card was released.

• 3 weeks later...