LILO troubles

ffi

It should normally by hd0,0 and not HD0,0. It could be a case sensitive issue. The grub section for Windows should look like this:

That was just my handwriting anyway I´m starting to believe this partition is beyond hope of recovery eventhough the symantec recovery cd and the windows install cd are still able to read all the files on this partition.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Windows partition it has to be rootnoverify. So if it says root, change it and try again. See the config I posted, and make sure it's exactly identical for your booting Windows.

Of course, change the hdax number to correspond to your Windows partition. If it doesn't allow you into Windows then, there must be some sort of partition problem or Windows just doesn't exist there correctly.

If that is the case, you could try a Windows upgrade (if using XP) to see if you can read and recover the partition if there really is data on there you want to recover. If so, boot the Windows CD as normal, go through as if doing a new install. It should come to a point where it says it detected and installation, at this point choose repair. If it doesn't come up with it, then your Windows partition is most likely hosed. Never choose the first repair, always go through as if new install of windows and choose repair later.

This will of course remove any boot loader for linux anyway, so you'll have to reinstall this boot loader later if you manage to get Windows up. If the upgrade doesn't detect it, don't bother to continue the install.

Set up does detect the installation but says the disk is corrupted and cannot be repaired :(

See the config I posted, and make sure it's exactly identical for your booting Windows.

I copied´n´pasted your entry and changed hd0,5 to 0,0