Installing from .exe files?

Guest Exalted_Leader

Guest Exalted_Leader

Apologies - this must´ve been asked a hundred times already:

I´m brand new to Linux, and still fiddling to see what all it can do. Is it possible to install applications that just have executable install files? For example, I would like to install PDF995 on my system (if it´s possible), but attempting to run it through the console (./pdf995s.exe) results in the error message, "Cannot execute binary file". Is there a different command I should be using? Or is it not at all possible to install this sort of software?

Thanks!

- Kevin

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The program is a MS Windows binary, the only way to attempt to run it in Linux is with WINE, however, I suspect there is native program that may do what you want/need. Just by guess, is this a PDF reading application? i.e. adobe acrobat reader. If so, you can try one of the Linux applications. Use the Easy-URPMI link at the vary top of this page to set up sources (i.e. contribs, plf) and go into the Mandriva Control Center, to the Programs section and to Install Programs and do a search for "pdf" or "acrobat" or similar.

I suggest KPDF as the best .pdf reading prog on Linux :D

But yea, you can't generally install Windows .exe files on Linux, on Mandriva (though not only Mandriva) we have .rpm files,

of course one can always try to install from source.

You can install WINE and run the exe with a command -> wine program.exe <-,

it will try to "emulate" a windows environment.

(WINE = wine is not an emulator, I know I know!)

Edited by solarian

Guest Exalted_Leader

Thanks for the help. :)

The program is actually a PDF converter, with a boastful amount of features. I didn't see anything that came loaded with Mandrake that makes an equivalent (OpenOffice can convert stuff to PDF, but it can't place bookmarks - which are an absolute MUST for me).

WINE seems to work just fine for me. :) (Well, sort of. I get this error message when attempting to run the install program: err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"F:\\WZSE0.TMP\\pdf995\\thinsetup.exe") not found - but I assume this has more to do with PDF995's dependency on WinDOH!s DLL libraries than anything to do with Mandrake).

Try reading this thread on the MandrivaClub forum:

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.ph...992235418ece407

There's some good info there that should help clear things up for you, at least get you started. If you have more questions it would probably be best to post back here in the 'Emulation' section.

If you have any dll problems, just copy them from your windows\system32 directory into your ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system directory, and it'll not complain about the error. It's a common issue when apps can't install correctly for one reason or another.

If you still find installation doesn't work, sometimes you have to do the install in Windows, and then copy the directory across into your .wine directory and make sure it's under Program Files or wherever, and then hopefully it'll work if not dll's are missing from windows\system.

For the fun of it, I tried to install it this morning ( wine 0.9.8 on Arch Linux 0.7.1, wine bottle created by winetools with typical settings).

The setup runs fine, but complains about missing postscript printer driver:

Setup has determined that you do not have a Postscript driver installed. A Postscript driver must be installed before you can install Pdf995 on Windows 95, 98 or ME. In order to install a Postscript driver, we recommend you install the Apple Laserwriter II NT printer driver (you don't need the actual printer). Once this is complete, please re-install Pdf995. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The Printer Wizard can be accessed from Start->Settings->Printers and opening "Add Printer." Pdf995 has automatically started the printer wizard for your convenience. Specify Apple LaserWriter II NT and select any port. There is no need to print a test page.

The Printer Wizard may require the Windows CD. You may need to browse to the folder on the CD containing files named driver#.cab (for instance, Windows 98 requires browsing to the folder containing "driver12.cab"). The driver#.cab files contain the necessary files. They can often be found in the "Setup" or "Win98" folder.

Once you have installed the Apple LaserWriter II NT Driver please re-install PDF995.

I may try to rectify that later, and tell you how it goes.