HP Digital Camera ?'s

Pepse

I have bought, but haven't taken out of the box, a HP Photosmart 620v digital camera and I am wondering if it will work with my MDK 9.0. I checked into G-Photo and something in KDE configuration and did not see the HP 620 listed in either one. I do have only one use if I can't store pix on my hdd and that's the fact I bought a HP Photosmart printer with the USB port on front for direct copy of pix. But I was hoping I could store/edit on hdd or burn to CDR.

Later. Pepse.

I would agree with mtweidmann about getting a card reader. Basically, what you're doing is making sure the kernel recognizes the cards (In my case, I think Mandrake's kernels already do by default) and then mounting the card like a hard drive. Incidently, in my case, I don't even have to have a seperate card reader, I just connect the camera and mount it as a hard drive, and then copy all of the files to a folder that isn't going to disappear when I umount the camera.

I don't have any more USB ports left on my box. But I have been planning on getting a USB hub. Is Linux particular about brands?? I had thought about getting a card reader but didn't check out the price. I will give HP a call and see if they would kindly let me know what camera models are similar, or at least point me in the direction where I might get a file.

Later. Pepse.

Well, I've heard about some problems when some USB devices aren't connected directly to the port, but I don't really know. I don't really see what the problem is though, being that they're hot-swappable... couldn't you just unplug one of the devices for a little while? Or is it something you keep running continuously, like a webcam?

Well, sadly this mobo has only 2 USB ports and is not expandable on the board. I have my optical mouse on one and my printer on the other. I will just switch my mouse to PS/2 for awhile. Er, hook up my old PS/2 mouse. Ya see, I have seen a couple diff small USB hubs for around $15 to $20 (with or without a power supply) so that is why I was ?ing the matter of brand. I was yold that SIIG would be the most likely hub to use but for what I've seen in my area they run about $35 to $40.

Later. Pepse.

Many people use the D-Link family of hubs. Checkout reviews on the hardware sites like http://www.anandtech.com , http://www.tomshardware.com and http://www.sharkyextreme.com and then visit the D-Link web page for the model that meets your needs. If any of those sites do not review these, try http://www.storagereview.com or do a Google Advanced search with 100 responses to speed up the search.

I never like to buy hardware that has not been reviewed by a site which never disses anything in order to keep getting free review copies so watch out for them. C-Net and ZDnet stand out in that category. In their case it's ad revenue.

Counterspy

Well, I did purchase a D-Link 7 port hub and everything is fine on that end. So, I set the HP cameras USB setting as a hard drive and then turned the camera on and it said it is connected to the computer; good. Well after a half minute nothing happened so I went to control center and looked at the hardware list and it does recognize the HP 620 as a "/dev/sda" and on the right side of the screen it gives an extensive list about the camera and at the bottom it says "run config tool", so I did and it took me to the partitioning screen and it gave me 6.8 megs of partition. It is called "/mnt/removable"; good. So now I gotta figure out what to do next. I went to Apps-monitoring-KdiskFree and it shows that "new" partition"; good. I went to "Removable Media" on my KDE desktop and there is nothing new there just my CDRW, DVD, and floppy. I see that I am getting somewhere but now I need some comments or to be pointed to a tutorial to tell me how to use this /mnt/sda.

Later. Pepse.

The next thing I would try is mounting /dev/sda. In a console run the following:

# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/removable

# ls /mnt/removable

This should mount the device and list the contents on the card.

If that works, unmount the device( #umount /dev/sda) and make a desktop icon for easy mounting by right clicking on the desktop and going to Create New>Hard Disc.. Click on the Device tab then click on the arrow in the Device field which will bring up a menu of all available devices. Select /dev/sda click the Generl tab and change the name field to Camera or whatever and your done. To mount the device, right click on the Camera icon and choose mount or just click on the icon and the device will be automatically mounted and konqueror will come up listing the contents. To unmount which you should do before removing the camera, right click on the icon and choose unmount.