wine installation problem

eroica

hello,

just installed the rpm for wine 0.9.8 on mandrake 9.2 system i have. problem is I cant get any program to run. When i run from the command line i get following errors:

[root@localhost ****]# wine clock

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.

Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Clock" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage

any suggestions about this missing file? I did a search and cant find it on my hardrive..

thanx

alan

that is located in ~/.wine/drive_c. it was created from the .0.9.8 rpm i just downloaded from the winehq site. It said for mdk 10.0 and later but i figured i'd try it. What i'm looking to do is run IE for some shockwave sites i need to run. Have u had any success w/getting shockwave programs to run in linux? I have some old hardware here so upgrading mandriva isnt an option

Shockwave has no Linux support, but an emulated IE can run it, no problem.

For setting up your fake drive with working IE6 you can use either WineTools or the Sidenet configuration utility. Both have worked well for me with Wine 0.9.X (don't use both!). In general Winetools sort out more modules and applications, but can miss a few menus and desktop shortcuts. IE6 installation is rather easy, just be careful of the DCOM98 tip!

Edited by scarecrow

You don't need to run wine apps as root. I noticed from your first post, you were running as root. This means the wine config would be read from /root/.wine directory instead of your home directory.

i was just using root cause when trying to run clock program thru apps menu on kde i was just getting a disappearing hourglass so i wanted to get an error message from the cli to post here. i've run it thru local user with same result as seen from this output:

******@localhost ****]$ wine clock

Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.

Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Clock" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage

See same error message. Any suggestions would be appreciated I really would love to cut the Windows cord but w/no shockwave plugin port to linux along w/no WMP capabilty it makes it real tough. I was hoping w/adobe takeover of macromedia we would see a port but no luck...

yeah that's what i'm not sure about. is the latest wine 0.9.8 no good for mdk 9.2? do u know where i can get the latest wine that would work for 9.2? I see a wine version in my install cd but its from '03. Is there anything later cause i hear how wine is always improving i'd like the latest version to improve chances of programs working..thanx...

Ready to go for 9.2- probably nowhere. The official Mandriva-specific RPM is said by winehq to work with 10.0, 10.1 and 2005LE (not 2006, obviously due to some gcc 4.X related issue).

You can try several things:

1. Installing that RPM and see if it works.

2. Getting the last source rpm from Cooker (it's still for 0.9.7, say here ) and make RPM's suitable for your system:

$ rpm --rebuild wine*.src.rpm

3. Getting the source tarball from winehq/sourceforge, untarring and proceeding as usual:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr

$ make

$ su -c "make install"

Wine isn't difficult or very time consuming to build... I'd rather opt for 3.

Edited by scarecrow

thanx for the advice. But do u think i'll have better success using latest tarball rather then the latest rpm(both 0.9.8 & 0.9.7 had same error mesages) i downloaded and installed? I found an rpm version dated 03102005 that the site says is 9.2 compatible. Is that too old a version.Also are there any packages i should have installed b4 trying the compile? I'm curious being a relative newbie what is the difference between the source tarball and .src rpm? I also have a laptop running mandriva 2006 what wine version should i use for that install.....

The only REAL advantage of trying to "rpm --rebuild" over compiling from source is that instead of spitting out cryptic error messages, if something is missing (which you ought to resolve), is that it will abort saying "package AAA.rpm is missing", so you will know what you will have to install before building. Other than that, rebulding a source RPM does not offer any other real advantages.

In general, for building wine from source you will need pretty standard stuff:

gcc (of course!), glib, xorg plus their -devel packages, automake, autoconf, alsa-lib, glut, probably lcms, ljpeg, libungif, libxslt, openldap (+ a few devel-packages referring to the above), and "probably" (not sure) gtk2 and gtk2-devel. Most of them are already installed in a typical Linux installation.

On Mandy 2006 you can find already built 0.9.X RPM's (say from Thac, or the official mandriva repos), but you can always try building your own, if you want to enhance them- say by adding unofficial DirectX patches.

Edited by scarecrow